Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Spa's jacuzzi etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebedee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If we provided an empty scandanvian wood hot tub (wood fired) and said if guests want to use it, it is their responsibility to fill it up and then drain it off at the end of their usage, leaving the water no longer than 3 days (or something) then effectively they are using it at their own risk, like an outdoor bathtub.

This is the bit I see as the problem. How could you make sure they follow instructions? The worst would be if they left it full to fester and just went home. Itís a bit like asking g guests to clean a barbecue after use...???
(Sorry to appear negative, Maybe your guests would be ok)
Martha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wood - fired ones are a world of trouble. They cost a huge amount to heat, especially if you don't really know how to work one, and the wood is much more prone to bacteria. Don't get me wrong, I love them and we have seriously looked into one for ourselves but they are a total no-no for guests!
skylander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
We will be living 10 hours away, so don't want a world of trouble!

We saw a wood one with a fibre glass shell inside it that looked good...
i am just trying to work out if this is something that we could do somehow safely if possible, as it is going to be hard enough to find a House keeper on the Isle of Skye, let alone someone to sort the spa out, so if we have one, it is going to be a "you want to use it- you fill it" kind of deal! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-fibreglass-Hot-Tub-Spa-Classic-model-with-exterior-wood-burner-jets-etc/283595028636?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l9372
Martha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think they are possible without being on site or having a reliable maintenance person.
There are way too many opportunities for disaster. I'm not even sure it would be legal, as I don't think you can sign away your responsibility to the guests.

How about a wood-fired sauna instead?
We have one and it's a huge hit. They don't have the hygiene issues of tubs and definitely a booking draw as it's so pretty.
Ours was from Canada but I think someone's making them in the UK now.

skylander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great idea!
Thanks for that!
We want something to add that feel of luxury and pampering, and taking in the view while enjoying it, so this is a good idea, especially in a climate where it is cold alot- people can make good use of it!
How much $$$ wood do you think you would go through if someone used it every day for a week?

Also, do you think it helps you get bookings over other places?
We had this one ear marked as it has a great viewing window..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Sauna-DISCOVERY-Outdoor-Sauna-with-a-domed-polycarbonate-glazing/254262017656?hash=item3b33327e78:g:GXUAAOSw6QpbTPB2
[/img]
skylander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or this one :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Sauna-PANORAMA-Oval-Outdoor-Sauna/254262004323?hash=item3b33324a63:g:Ze8AAOSwdMRbo52A
Martha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like those ones though its worth noting they steam up like mad! So the window would probably need a clean on changeover.

We find it does help bookings, yes. It looks so nice. People often mention it. I don't monitor the wood consumption, it evens out...some people have one every night but some don't use it at all. Most people will use it one or two nights.
You could leave a set amount of wood for each guests if you find that it becomes excessive.

We also leave some eucalyptus for the bucket in a nice bottle.
susanj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of yours, Martha! I can't say our hot tub helped as much as I thought it would. We couldn't get a higher price and maybe it brings in 1-2 extra weekend guests a month in the winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: