Creating a new website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Banffy wrote:Hi, What would I expect to pay someone to design a simple website for me?
Sorry to say that is a how long is a piece of sting sort of question.
If I was you I would look around locally. I say that in case there is a another lockdown which may make travelling troublesome. Find a company with whom you can work with, ascertain what you need, Like how many pages?
What code you need the site to be written in?
What sort of level for SEO work do you want the designers to do? etc etc.
You will obviously need a host, and that can influence the choice of the website.

Cheap is not usually the best way.

PS what happened to kendalcottages?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Banffy

Post by Banffy »

I have had a quote come in at £700 and if I want to edit etc (CMS) I have to pay another £350 on top to have that added. Is it better to pay that sort of money rather than trying to knock something up from Go Daddy etc?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Being able to update the site yourself is pretty important. Especially in these days of constantly changing Covid rules. Have you looked at Promote My Place? I haven't used it but I understand that it makes editing relatively easy. The downside is that you'd have to stick with the templates they provide which might not suit what you have in mind.

What are your technical skills like? I use Wordpress, but then I've got a technical background so I find it easy, although I know others find it mystifying.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Banffy

Post by Banffy »

Joanna wrote:Being able to update the site yourself is pretty important. Especially in these days of constantly changing Covid rules. Have you looked at Promote My Place? I haven't used it but I understand that it makes editing relatively easy. The downside is that you'd have to stick with the templates they provide which might not suit what you have in mind.

What are your technical skills like? I use Wordpress, but then I've got a technical background so I find it easy, although I know others find it mystifying.
Never heard of wordpress, now looking into PMP looks very good for the likes of me to get started lol.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I use Wordpress but it's not for everyone. Most offer a free trial so you can see how it works for you. The one that is best, if you're not confident with technology, is those one that you're most comfortable with. Otherwise it's a stress to update it, so you won't, so it will become less useful. An up-to-date simple and functional site is much more useful than a sleek and lovely one that hasn't been updated for years. (in general)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix