Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Electric car chargers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that in the U.K. You're not allowed to charge more for electricity than you pay for it. Which makes it quite tricky to know how much to charge for car charging.

If we ever get a charging point we'll just increase all our prices by a small amount to cover it and adjust it as we get more experience with it. The same as we did with broadband.

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
newtimber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna wrote:
I believe that in the U.K. You're not allowed to charge more for electricity than you pay for it. Which makes it quite tricky to know how much to charge for car charging.

The cap does not apply to the resale of electricity for charging EV vehicles. This is why it can be expensive to charge EV vehicles when you're not at home.
Joanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful to know Newtimber, thanks.

It's all a bit of a mystery to us - we live in a terrace house with on-street parking so I doubt we'll ever be able to own an electric car. I'm thinking that, in the long term, car ownership will decline for people in our situation and we'll rent electric cars as and when we need them.

In the meantime, we're not at the point yet where we can justify the cost of installing a proper charging point at our holiday cottages.

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Martha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSE wrote:
My argument is not about actual cost of filling a vehicle to run for a day. It is what are the owners going to include in the price of a stay.

Sure! Everyone's got to consider all these things. I feel it's in transition at the moment with EVs. Currently it's something a few people want, like cots and baby gates, or to use the air conditioning non stop, or to stay in with a roaring fire all day.

Also note with WhatsApp and Skype so universal...yes, I am effectively paying the client's phone bills during their stay as I provide a landline and free internet access!

I prefer to put prices up a bit and just accept that some guests will use some facilities more than others, and some will cost more than others. Other people prefer to account for all this and charge extra, if it works for them then fine.

But it's not long before EV charging is something almost everyone needs, like the internet. It's useful to see how others are thinking about this future provision. Some places are of course going to be easier than others to arrange a charging point.

T& Cs definitely needs to apply and also a plan B where you give them a map of local charging points they can use (currently in use as Plan A for us!)
Cymraes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we will be accounting for it in our overall charging structure at the moment, as soon as someone comes up with a suitable card/coin meter we'll be installing it, if demand becomes heavy enough to justify the fees that will undoubtedly come with them.

I think only 1 or 2 people have used ours in the 2 years it's been installed so at the moment it's a bit of a non issue. Lack of range is still too much of a downside for most people (including us).
newtimber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
Whilst we will be accounting for it in our overall charging structure at the moment, as soon as someone comes up with a suitable card/coin meter we'll be installing it, if demand becomes heavy enough to justify the fees that will undoubtedly come with them.

I think only 1 or 2 people have used ours in the 2 years it's been installed so at the moment it's a bit of a non issue. Lack of range is still too much of a downside for most people (including us).

As ever it'll probably cost more to install and maintain the metering than you'll get from the fees.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuthatch wrote:
Our electric car (a BMW i3) takes 30 kWh to charge fully from completely empty (so that would be an absolute maximum of £4.50 at 15p per kWh from a completely flat battery). On a typical home car charger that might take around 4-6 hours, or on a standard socket it might take 12 hours or longer (new rapid chargers at public sites might take as little as 20 minutes for a decent level of charge).

Realistically, when we stay away from home we probably would arrive with quite a low battery and need a big charge overnight. After that, we would probably only use a small amount of charge every day. Our car tells us how many kWh we've charged so we can calculate easily how much we owe, and we always offer to pay - for a few days stay it's probably in the region of £10-£15.

It's worth noting that it's virtually impossible to use vast amounts of electricity by charging multiple times per day - it's just not possible due to the time it takes to charge a vehicle.

Our car can also be set up to only charge on economy 7, which we have, so we're paying around 5-6p per kWh (equating to less than £2 for a full charge).

Hope that helps!

Thank you - really helpful
Fenacre

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím interested in this thread as I am thinking of having a charging point installed. We have economy seven so the night charge is small but we have two letís here plus our own home so could end up needing three points. I say points rather than from the house supply as we also have workshop on site for my husbands business that is heavy on electric use. So Iím thinking of increasing our charges a small amount which to be fair I would have done next year anyway, but this would now be specifically to recover the costs of installation but not charging per charge per vehicle.. I did read somewhere about a year ago that people could plug in and be charged by a network so payment was made direct to the, and it didnít impinge on our home elec bill. Any developments on this anyone know?
I do see the internet argument as remember the should we have it or not, should we charge or not should we have limits on it or not discussions. I was one of the get it, unlimited and include In overall pricing which I think most do now.
Managing your property