Confusing messages re CV19

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
joddle

Confusing messages re CV19

Post by joddle »

Looking at the UK news Boris seems to be saying he does not want anyone to travel to Spain which is fair enough. BUT Spain is only on the amber list so people could travel as far as the UK govt is concerned but would be subject to restrictions on return. However, on various news programmes newscasters are say IF you choose to go to Spain then you have to obey the riles on return (Correct) but they do not say or even hint that at the moment tourism visits to Spain by UK nationals are still banned by Spain.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I think thats going to change today though re Spain letting us in. No good though if Boris keeps Spain on amber! I've kinda lost the plot with it all now. I'm sure we went last year against FCO advice (it was an advisory and I guess it still is as its not illegal now) and I checked our travel insurance and it was valid. Now though if you go against FCO advice its not valid? Also last year I was saying that if the property is available and you chose not to go then its a discinclination to travel (even though FCO advises against) but I don't think that is the case now!!
joddle

Post by joddle »

roxytoo wrote:I think thats going to change today though re Spain letting us in. No good though if Boris keeps Spain on amber! I've kinda lost the plot with it all now. I'm sure we went last year against FCO advice (it was an advisory and I guess it still is as its not illegal now) and I checked our travel insurance and it was valid. Now though if you go against FCO advice its not valid? Also last year I was saying that if the property is available and you chose not to go then its a discinclination to travel (even though FCO advises against) but I don't think that is the case now!!
If the Spanish govt changes stance then all for the better - BUT I have people needing to come to Spain not really for holidays but to attend to family business who currently cannot do so as their trips are not regarded as "essential" enough!!!! The rules are pretty firm and its that relaxation which I am hoping will change very soon. The Spanish minister has already said they are changing entry rules re covid from tomorrow but said nothing else yet about updating reasons for travel!!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just found this website. It is official and
although it has the usual get out clauses. It is very handy to allow you and guest to understand what regulations are for entering and leaving Spain.
It also has a handy regional explanation of what regulations are currently in place for each autonomous community.
https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Good link CSE. Up to date, easy to use and informative.
volcano

Post by volcano »

joddle

Post by joddle »

Brilliant news - I just hope its all true!!!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

It is confusing to say the least.
The UK website still has not been updated.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain?
Summary

Still current at:
21 May 2021
Updated:
21 May 2021
Latest update:

New information on changes to entry requirements for Spain if you are travelling from the UK from 24 May onwards. No changes have been made to the level of our travel advice for any regions of Spain. We continue to advise against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands, but excluding the Canary Islands. (‘Summary’ and ‘Entry Clearance' pages)

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but excluding the Canary Islands, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.
It goes on to describe the entry restrictions for Spain and those for returning to the UK.

Then there is the news that a Certificado Verde Digital (digital green certificate). It is EU wide. Confusingly it can be a piece of paper too. It is not a Covid passport either. This raises the question are the non EU citizens going to be required to use this too?

Edit:
Just found this. Brits will still have to abide by some regulations.
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... C3%B1a.pdf
joddle

Post by joddle »

And so the confusion continues. I now have people saying the don't wish to come at the moment because if Spain does not insist on a covid test then all sorts of brits who may be carrying the virus will be arriving and so they don't feel safe. Already there are reports of Brits who have arrived this week who are not abiding by Spanish rules and thinking they don't have to wear a mask outdoors or socially distance !!! Utter madness seems to reign once more!
joddle

Post by joddle »

So off on another uncertainty roundabout it seems!!! - The EU is trying to insist that Spain adheres to EU policy on people entering the EU which requires them to have had a negative Covid test up to 72 hrs before arrival. That would mean all Brits would also have to abide by the same rules which is now the bone of contention as currently they do not have to have a test to visit Spain. Of course Spain is trying to resist so we have once again have to wait and see how it pans out. However with the rapid increase of the Indian variant in the UK, I cannot fathom why Spain would not want to follow the EU rules - if that variant caught hold here that would be devastating for the Spanish population and for any unvaccinated tourists arriving.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I cannot fathom why Spain would not want to follow the EU rules
It only like the monetary support. And often goes it's own way when it comes to EU dictates.
The Indian variant was here in Galicia on the 8th May. Evidently crew of a cargo ship docked in Vigo brought it in.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Even more confusion - I was expecting some people here yesterday but the airline told them they had to have a certificate to show they had had 2 jabs to board the plane - whereas the Spain govt website says they did not need that!!! As a result they can't come until next week!!!!
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

Which airline was that? We're heading out to Spain to visit our house in a few days. I've been obsessively searching to find out if we have to have a fit-to-fly test, but the Ryanair site says we don't.

A friend went to Majorca a couple of days ago, on Ryanair, and only had to fill out the Spanish Health form (which itself is a nightmare to do). No-one asked at the Spanish end to see his proof of two vax, although he had the NHS app on his phone ready to show.....

All so confusing and anxiety making!
Marks

Post by Marks »

There is no requirement to have a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination to enter Spain. Only the health form needs to be completed.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Marks is correct though there are some airlines that are asking for a neg PCR test before they will let on the plane!