Track and Trace QR code

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Drax

Post by Drax »

There does appear to be some confusion whether this requirement of displaying the QR code poster applies to FHL owners.
To try to get a definitive answer I phoned the QR Code Support Office (Tel.0800 540 4900). The lady official I spoke to was not certain but because we are in the hospitality business she thought we should display it (a definite maybe). I also put my concerns to her about me possibly breaching GPDR if the NHS Track and Trace contacted me asking for details of guests staying in our FHL if there was a Covid 19 outbreak in our area and the guests, for whatever reason, had not scanned the T&T poster.
She stated that NHS Track and Trace only use the information from the T&T scan and no other source. No names are garnered from this process and they would not contact me to ask for names.
However this appears at variance with the Government Advice document;
Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace
which state;
When information should be shared with NHS Test and Trace
NHS Test and Trace or Public Health Officers will ask for these records only where it is necessary. For example, if your premises has been identified as the location of a potential COVID-19 outbreak. You and your staff must not share this information with anyone else and respect individuals’ privacy.

NHS Test and Trace will work with you, if contacted, to ensure that information is shared in a safe and secure way. You must share the requested information as soon as possible to help us identify people who may have been in contact with the virus and help minimise the onward spread of COVID-19.

The reality is it appears that the lady I spoke to did not know if we have to display this poster, did not know whether NHS Track and Trace will contact holiday home owners to ask for names if there is a Covid 19 outbreak in our area and did not know if we would breach GDPR if we gave T&T these names.

I am going to display this poster because the way I interpret the Government notices as FHL owners we have to (also I do not want to pay a whacking great £1000.00 fine for failure to do so).
Keep your powder dry.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As of today the general interpretation from sources such as PASC of the QR code is that we are now obliged to display it.
Yes, it’s pretty pointless as we’ll all have collected the necessary information as part of the booking process, so guests don’t need to scan the code.
It’s really a case of get the code, print it, display it, let guests decide if they want to use it, no problem if they don’t, job done, tick box, avoid fine.
shamac

Post by shamac »

I only ever collect lead bookers details (use airbnb), I have the QR code printed out, we are offsite so I have no way of knowing who has/hasn't scanned it.
Do I leave a piece of paper and ask for everyone's contact details then destroy it after 21 days? If the NHS come and ask me for those details am I legally obliged to give them them? What happens if the guests don't do it?
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

shamac wrote:I only ever collect lead bookers details (use airbnb), I have the QR code printed out, we are offsite so I have no way of knowing who has/hasn't scanned it.
Do I leave a piece of paper and ask for everyone's contact details then destroy it after 21 days? If the NHS come and ask me for those details am I legally obliged to give them them? What happens if the guests don't do it?
You only need to keep the lead booker's contact details for 21 days and legally you have to give them to Track And Trace if requested. I'm not sure whether Airbnb provide you with the guest's phone number - but you need it if they don't.
Ocean Escape

Track and Trace QR Code

Post by Ocean Escape »

Hello,
Can anyone please tell me where this quote came from, and send me the link "Self-catering operators should be collecting track and trace data at the moment. It becomes a legal requirement for them to collect it this Friday (18th). The 24th is when the QR-based NHS app is meant to go live � but there is no requirement for businesses to use it. The QR code and app is good for high volume places like pubs and restaurants but is of no real benefit to PASC members because they will already be collecting the required information anyway � which is: Customers and Visitors"
The reason I am asking is that we have found that it is clear that more people are using our self catering rental property in Cornwall than stated on the booking provided by our letting agent. So far, no evidence of over occupancy, but clearly if we are expecting a family of 2 then we expect deep cleaning in only 1 bedroom, and all bedrooms if full occupancy of 7. We have asked our letting agent to ask guests to confirm how many people will actually be staying, but getting nowhere with them. Does anyone have any advice or experience of how this managed through other booking agents? (We do leave a QR code but no idea if/when/by whom it is used).
Thank you
Using our house to plan for a comfortable retirement.
My robotic lawnmower is my best friend
newtimber

Re: Track and Trace QR Code

Post by newtimber »

Ocean Escape wrote: but clearly if we are expecting a family of 2 then we expect deep cleaning in only 1 bedroom, and all bedrooms if full occupancy of 7.
This may not be true.

Guest will move bedrooms if for whatever reason they cannot sleep, get back-ache, get too hot or cold or wake up early and if they've paid for all the bedrooms, they are perfectly entitled to try them all out to find the one that suits their needs best.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Do your guests pay less for under occupancy? It isn’t something I offer, but many owners and agents do. If so, then you have a valid case to ask your agent for accurate information.

There are other ways in which you can subtly find out about occupancy - only leave enough towels for 2 if the booking form says 2 etc.
To be honest, anyone who is not an owner may not understand there is an issue if they invite friends or family to fill up spare beds, but with the pandemic / epidemic, this is an issue with regard to the number of households staying.

I think your current experience is one of many that has caused us all to walk away from agents. They get you to sign a contract then treat the property as though it belongs to them which is quite rude to owners, although many people are happy with that arrangement. I would suggest you either look to take over managing the property or find another agent . Smaller local agents are often better.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Here is your link. There’s a lot to read. But we are included in hospitality sector

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/maintaining ... -and-trace
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

According to PASC - Professional Association of Self-Caterers - UK owners are now required to collect the name and contact details (email or mobile) for every adult guest for Test & Trace. So if you're with an agent who doesn't provide that information you have to get hold of it yourself.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Ocean Escape

Track and Trace QR Code

Post by Ocean Escape »

Thank you all for your answers. I had previously looked at the .gov advice, but it's not clear on self contained homes :- hotels and other guest accommodation provided on a commercial basis, including in bed and breakfast accommodation, boats, campsites, caravans, chalets, guest houses, holiday parks, hostels, motels, pubs, sleeper trains and yurts
However, the PASC advise is much more concise. So, we will approach our letting agents (who are a small, local Cornwall company) and once again asked them to ask guests to confirm full details of the guests prior to arrival, or that we will have to leave a form for guests to complete. I would prefer to know prior to guest arrival how many to expect and to have to clean up after - because it is our house after all!!!!
Using our house to plan for a comfortable retirement.
My robotic lawnmower is my best friend
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Be prepared for your agent to argue their case (code for refuse). Their fear will be that you contact guests direct to get them to book through you rather than the agent. Perhaps think about your response.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

zebedee wrote:Be prepared for your agent to argue their case (code for refuse). Their fear will be that you contact guests direct to get them to book through you rather than the agent. Perhaps think about your response.
Most people that use agents go to different places every year and don't want to deal with owners directly anyway.
The agent won't refuse your request as it's a legal requirement. Even Airbnb gives owners contact details on confirmed bookings.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

newtimber wrote:
zebedee wrote:Be prepared for your agent to argue their case (code for refuse). Their fear will be that you contact guests direct to get them to book through you rather than the agent. Perhaps think about your response.
Most people that use agents go to different places every year and don't want to deal with owners directly anyway.
The agent won't refuse your request as it's a legal requirement. Even Airbnb gives owners contact details on confirmed bookings.
But that hasn’t been happening Newtimber. The OP says
We have asked our letting agent to ask guests to confirm how many people will actually be staying, but getting nowhere with them.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

newtimber wrote:
Not true of Airbnb

Jonathan
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Jonathan wrote:
newtimber wrote:Even Airbnb gives owners contact details on confirmed bookings.
Not true of Airbnb

Jonathan
You do get them if you are API connected and agree to their terms and conditions.