new electricity rates

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

new electricity rates

Post by costa-brava »

Following a suggestion from Sunbeam. We started to hi-jack the post by Manclass about A/C usage.
So here are my last notes again on how we are being charged by Endesa.
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:38 pm
I have just had a short bill for the last 8 days showing the new charges. The peak rate costs 13.3 cents per kwh. The mid-rate is 4.2 cents and the off-peak is just 0.6 of a cent per kwh. The off-peak applies between midnight and 8 AM and weekends. Mid-rate is 8-10 morning, 2 to 6 afternoon/evening and the last 2 hours at night. All other times are peak.
Previously I was on a flat rate of 4.4 cents per KWH.
Marks

Post by Marks »

It's not quite as straight forward as you imply.

If you were on the PVPC tariff within the regulated market your tariff will have changed. Your invoice will clearly state that you are on the PVPC tariff and the price you pay for electricity fluctuates on a day to day and hour by hour based on the demand and cost of electricity production.

If you have a contract with a marketeer (eg Iberdrola Clientes, Energy Nordic, Fenia, Siesta Energy etc (in the unregulated market) and it is a fixed rate, day/night plan or the 8 hour plan your contract will remain exactly the same and your off peak hours will be the same, but this will be more expensive in the long run as the marketeers calculate their own rates based on the PVPC plus their mark up.

For those on the PVPC tariff in the regulated market you can check the hourly rates here:

https://www.esios.ree.es/en/pvpc
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

My contract was PVPC sin discriminacion horario until the end of June and has now been changed by Endesa to PVPC Mercado Regulado. I have no idea how other contracts are affected but my impression is that the changes have been imposed by law, not by the company.
The last bill only covers the first 8 days of July but the "energia consumida" element is about 33% higher across the board than it was before.
So apart from getting up sharp in the morning to do the washing and putting timers on the electric water heaters, I foresee that our bills will be higher.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I have been wondering how this affects running of pool pumps - and have started a thread hoping to get some response! https://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Marks

Post by Marks »

The changes have been forced by the government yet those customers not in the regulated market (as you are) will not see any change apart from, most likely, higher bills as their suppliers add their profit margin to the PVPC rates.

The advice, from a fully qualified Spanish electrician who deals with Iberdrola daily, is to switch to the regulated market (PVPC).
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Am I correct in understanding that these are the two choices for how you pay for electricity?

1/ "PVPC tarif" which was a variable price electricity, depending on demand and so price per kw not predictable.

2/ "Fixed price tarif" so the per kw does not change (don't know the official name)

The PVPC rate is now split into different rates depending on the time of day.

So are the 3 different rates for the PVPC tarif - still variable and subject to change depending on the time of year?
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

There seems to be a good reduction in IVA (VAT) for electricity but I haven't got a full grip on what it is yet. I think it's just on the power consumed.
CSE

Post by CSE »

IVA reduction is only for certain electric consumers. So not everyone will see this reduction. Spain had to ask the EU for permission to lower the taxes.
It is only temporary and is due for a reevaluation at the end of the year. However, if the price on the wholesale market drops then the IVA will be risen back to 21%
I suppose if you want to know the exact wording one can search the BOE for it. Anyone up for that? :wink:
Some reports say that the reduction on IVA was "wiped out in a few days because prices still kept on rising. Thus not helping those it was said to be aimed at.
https://www.elmundo.es/economia/ahorro- ... b461f.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I got another (first 8 days) bill today for a smaller meter. The contracted power is just 700 watts and is for lighting. But it really is quite complicated. The principal is easy to understand but there are now two separate off-peak/high-peak aspects to the bill. It seems you can now have a contracted power needs (peak) for weekdays and another contracted power needs for weekends. They call this "fixed term" Then the three-tier breakdown of the actual power consumed. They call it variable term. Then an electricity tax, rental of the meter and finally the VAT (IVA).
I really recommend getting hold of both your June bill and July bill to check out if and how you will be affected. It really is more about avoiding surprises rather than being able to do much about it.
In normal times it would be less important. But it does seem to me that lots of people will see a 30-40% increase while others will see a small decrease depending on the pattern of consumption.
If you have electric "termo) water heaters it is now crucial to get them switched off/unplugged when the property is vacant.
CSE

Post by CSE »

The price of electricity still keeps climbing.
https://www.elprogreso.es/articulo/espa ... 15172.html
All down to the way the price on higher gas prices and CO2 emission rights.
Oh and the need to use more aircon in Andalusia.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.