Thinking about moving hosting provider

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
SPJ

Thinking about moving hosting provider

Post by SPJ »

I have my own gite website, designed with great help from this forum.
As I understand little or nothing about the whole process I have stuck with the original recommended hosting company.

I'm coming up for renewal and it seems to me I'm paying a lot for something I barely use - the website just sits there with a few tweaks from time to time and I rarely if ever use their support.

I'm with siteground and have a .com domain in France. I'm paying 275.88€ for a year's hosting to Growbig hosting and one year's domain of 15.99€.

I am wondering how these prices compare with other companies'. Also how complicated / difficult is it to swap hosting companies?

I'd be grateful for thoughts/suggestions. Thanks Sue
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Hi,

I'm also with Siteground and in a similar situation to you. Just wondering if you need the Growbig package if you stick with Siteground? I have the StartUp hosting one and it's been sufficient and saves some money.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

They have a very cheap "introductory offer" which then becomes very expensive after a year. You could of course that with them and create a new account every year and close the old account but it seems a lot of hassle. Even the basic one is very expensive after a year.

I would avoid this type of company and choose a company that has sensible "regular" prices. I use Krystal but there are lots of web hosts out there that don't use this cheap price to entice, then hope you won't switch...
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I have used penguin-uk.com for over 15 yrs with no issues and a helpful "tech" section. Around £10 pa for starter pack.
What would Plato do ?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks everyone for your replies - sorry I've been slow to react. Not getting notifications for some reason.

I've renewed with siteground for another month so that I can give myself a bit of breathing space to look at alternatives. There seem to be so many options it's positively overwhelming!
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thank you Susan.