Spain-Holiday

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

If you are a Spain-Holiday subscriber, are you going to switch to Bookiply?

Yes, I'm switching
No votes
No, I'm going elsewhere
100%

Total votes: 9

Quiterio

Spain-Holiday

Post by Quiterio »

I've been using Spain-Holiday exclusively now for a number of years, and found it ticked all my boxes. It offered a subscription model, and allowed me to have a conversation with potential customers before they book. The Malaga-based team were very friendly and helpful. Having used AirBnb briefly, I am wary of instant booking.

Now Spain-Holiday have sold out to Bookiply and are switching to the commission model. I feel as if I have no option but to go with them, unless I rely on repeat bookings. I suspect that, unless I contact my regulars and warn them to book early, they'll be pipped to the post by "unknown" instant bookers.

:cry: Very sad. It feels like the end of an era. How many other users are going to switch?
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have advertised with S-H for 21 years. Sadly I won't renew.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

With VRBO and Airbnb you don't need to do Instant Book - so you can have a conversation with potential guests before agreeing to the booking. There is of course commission to the guest and to you. I don't think the old Owners Direct or Spain-Holiday model exists anymore.

Edited to say that I would not go near the new company that Spain Holiday has sold out to. Seems they are creating another layer between VRBO and Airbnb that isn't necessary - and taking all control away from the Owner
Quiterio

Post by Quiterio »

Sunbeam wrote: I don't think the old Owners Direct or Spain-Holiday model exists anymore.
What about Simply Owners?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I've been with SH since 2002.I won't be going with bookiply. We have decided to sell one property and will probably keep the other for ourselves and stop renting it altogether. With Brexit Covid and this its just too much. We pay tax at 24% now in Spain on the rental income with no deductions. Bookings are harder to get. I've tried airbnb, absoluelty rubbish. VRBO the same. I've also decided to retire from being a rental agent renting others. Its probably time, its been hard to do but..............
Vera

Post by Vera »

Been with SH since 2005. Couldn't decide about Bookiply and let them talk me into signing with them for SH but not any of their other links, vrbo etc.
They rewrote my copy, which was awful and I never felt comfortable about them so have de-listed.
I am with Campaya which was the offshoot of SH and have just had a booking with them. They operate a similar no contact with guests policy which i hate and which almost caused a problem with check in. I have also now de-listed with them.
We need to take back control.
outlook

Post by outlook »

Bookiply make VBRO look easygoing! I thought VBRO was one to avoid like the plague but this crowd are far worse. I would think the SH Home Owners will be a tough crowed for Bookiplay to bring to heel. Lets hope they fail in this. None of these controlling company's fair well for long on Trust Pilot over time. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bookiply.com We are living in frustrating times for sure.
Quiterio

Post by Quiterio »

It's worse than I thought! Bookiply are a kind of third-party "chain" with links to VRBO, Booking.com, AirBnb. All the ones we know and love.

This means that not only do you pay commission to Bookiply, you pay it to the other party as well. What's the benefit? Why not just register with each separately?

I see that Booking.com offers Bookiply as a "chain" for guests searching for accommodation. Why would guests choose this option? Would they imagine it offers some extra layer of protection? Does it cost them extra as well, or just us?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

It gets worse. I've just had the email re a webimar promoting the new website etc (which I won't be joining) Checked my adverts and all of 2022 is blocked out for both properties? Can't see how to change that on the existing dashboard. On the apartment advert its says I have a BBQ which I don't. (BBQ is not ticked on dashboard) It says I have a PRIVATE childrens pool which I dont. I cant get to check the house as I cant find it!!
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

I agree it all gets worse. The email was sent out yesterday, offering webinars today - in morning, or tomorrow - in evening. Neither of which I can do. I've emailed to ask why they're only offering so few - with such an enormous change underway.

Now I've checked my calendar and all available except when we get to Sept '22 it's blocked out. Maybe they know SpainHol will have vanished by then? ':roll:'
outlook

Post by outlook »

And worse still. The "BEST PRICE POLICY" and one the crosses the line. Bookiply insist that they offer and guarantee the lowest price across all portals for your property. As we know fees are different on each portal. Bookiply fees are higher than most. Why would any owner choose to earn less in order to rent though BookiplY?. This policy is insane and manipulative. Who would sign up for that? I will not be continuing with this overbearing new kid on the block.

Here is another interesting Trust-Pilot read https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/614a ... 2118b7609d
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

Here is another interesting Trust-Pilot read https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/614a ... 2118b7609d[/quote]

Wow, that was an interesting read! Def not moving over to Bookiply.
outlook

Post by outlook »

More on the origins of this start-up https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/09/mun ... -platform/
CSE

Post by CSE »

That report was BC (Before Covid) This is more up to date.
https://www.eu-startups.com/2021/05/ger ... expansion/

Is this really a start-up? I feel that this particular company has surpassed any benchmarks which would classify it as one.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

In July 2020 alone, more than 27 million travellers used the Holidu website ..... Bookiply significantly expanded its customer base of holiday rental owners
Quotes from the press release. Note that the 27 million probably refers to the number of site visits, certainly not the number of bookings. Not difficult to achieve with sufficient marketing?

Also it is not so difficult to expand the number of holiday rental owners, you just get an agreement with other companies and add all their properties. I did this with OwnerHolidays, expanded by getting agreement with other OTA's. But that hardly added value - it was more to add to my credibility.