Beds

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Elaine M

Beds

Post by Elaine M »

I am just starting out in the holiday rental business, having previously rented out the house and been seriously stung by terrible tenants and negligent agents... I am hoping that people going on holiday won't be taking a pot of paint and a tool box wanting to make changes to suit themselves. Or maybe I'm delusional?

I am so happy to have found this site and have already spent many hours learning from the combined wisdom here.

Having done renovations and such like, it is time to start looking to buy beds. I am completely overwhelmed, so am hoping for some help. I had narrowed the choice down to one of two manufacturers - either Mattison or Hotel Contract Beds. Both look good but both had things that I was not entirely happy with. Following lots of comments from you lovely people on this site, I went to look at Out of Eden for bedding etc, only to discover that they too sell beds. The spec looks really good too!

Experience tells me that the most expensive bed is not necessarily the most comfortable. I keep reading that I should buy the best bed that I can afford. So what is the best bed for a holiday rental?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.
Drax

Post by Drax »

From our experience (and a very stressful time) do not buy beds that have slats.
They cannot accommodate overweight people and at some point will collapse if you have weighty guests.
Whatever beds you buy, purchase divan beds.
Keep your powder dry.
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

I haven't had to buy a whole bed (our double is slatted so I'm a little worried now after reading the post above) but buying a new double mattress I went with Mattison after reading quite a few posts on this forum. It was good value but I found it a little firm when we slept on it. That was easily remedied by a mattress topper, inexpensive and definitely makes it much more comfortable. (In my opinion, my husband didn't mind it firm, that's the thing about mattresses.) We have a mattress protector on top of that and it does make it rather deep, but a deep fitted sheet stopped the struggle on changeover. I just get new bedding as and when, usually when one of the big stores has their sale on.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Our beds are slatted. We have had no issues with persons who are over weight. However, it should be noted that not all slats are created equal.

It is much easier to clean under a bed if they are raised as slatted bed bases do not touch the ground. Air circulation around the mattress is also much better.

Choosing a good bed frame together with a good mattress is very important.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Yes the slats provided tend to be thin and do break. But easily replaceable with something more substantial.