Any good spam filters?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
paolo

Any good spam filters?

Post by paolo »

Can anyone recommend a spam filter that can be taught what is spam and won't delete authentic messages? It doesn't have to be a free one, I am getting 400 spam emails a day and happy to pay handsomely for a good solution.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
marcus

Post by marcus »

About 2 days ago Micosoft announced that I needed to install their automatic updates for Office products, which include improved spam protection for Outlook.

That has eliminated perhaps 95% of the spam mail I receive. So, worth checking that you have all the current updates I think (I also was receiving hundreds per day)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks Marcus, only thing is I use Eudora. I have set it to delete the obvious subject lines, but it doesn't do it. I have heard there are spam filters you train to let through the good stuff, and after a while they are very good.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I use the orange one, which although dreadful at first, filtering out everything, then nothing, then everything including all the genuine enquiries from my website plus those from H-R.com for some reason, has now settled down and is filtering out nearly everything it should and allowing in everything it should. With that and AVG, I don't have any problems, but it isn't free.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I know the feeling, Paolo, I'm now getting in excess of 600 spams a day with three of my accounts.

Have a look at Mailwasher - there's a free version and a paid for version.

HTH
maria-g

Post by maria-g »

We filter all our e-mails through SpamCop's paid service.

Spamcop has a "Held email" folder where you can verify that it really is spam before releasing or reporting/deleting.

Spamcop also incorporates SpamAssasin. You can set the level you want sent through. If you like, you could set it to very weak, to catch only the most obvious spam, and then use a filter in your email program to move those above a certain level into a Suspect folder that you can check locally.

For me, one of the best parts about using Spamcop is that it keeps most spam from even getting to my inbox. I have an email check program that notifies me of new mail. It's a waste of time if most of those notices are spam.

The webmail interface is very nice and the use of a Held Mail folder means I don't lose anything. We forward all our mail to SpamCop and fetch it from there.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Spamilator is brilliant it is free and is flexible and even lets you train it I highly recommend it.

http://www.spamihilator.com/
Always Learning