Keyholding/changeover costs

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
musicmonkey

Keyholding/changeover costs

Post by musicmonkey »

We consider ourselves lucky to have a neighbour on hand who is happy to handle changeovers for us but we are experiencing some problems (as we are both relatively new to this - our first year of renting - we hope these are just teething problems). I have some questions as follows:-
1. How do you arrange cleaning, do you just clean just the once before new guests arrive? Or do you clean after guests leave as well?
2. Do you pay per changeover or an annual fee?
3. If you are not resident like us, what arrangement do you have for incidental work, eg. recently we had a lock break and need replacement? Do you agree that under a certain figure, work can be arranged in your absence, and beyond that figure your permission is required? If so, what sort of figure?
4. When using a neighbour as we do as keyholder with absent owner, how much would you typically pay per changeover, and to sort out the inevitable problems that arise, before and after taxes? (4 bedroom house)

If you would prefer to send me a private message that's fine!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi,

Like you I don't live near my places in France. This is the set-up I have. My father lives close by so he acts in the role of a 'caretaker'. Then I have a cleaner who comes every Saturday.
1. How do you arrange cleaning, do you just clean just the once before new guests arrive? Or do you clean after guests leave as well?
If there is a gap between rentals, the cleaning is done straight away and everything is ready for the next arrivals. If there is a gap of more than a few days, someone may go round just to get some air in and check all is spick and span.
2. Do you pay per changeover or an annual fee?
It's difficult to get a cleaner who will work on Saturdays so even when there is no changeover she will go and do a quick clean, change sheets and towels. Otherwise it would be hard to retain her. I pay her 60 euros per Saturday, and there are not many Saturdays when she has absolutely nothing to do (then I don't pay her).
3. If you are not resident like us, what arrangement do you have for incidental work, eg. recently we had a lock break and need replacement? Do you agree that under a certain figure, work can be arranged in your absence, and beyond that figure your permission is required? If so, what sort of figure?
I want to know about everything, not necessarily to give permission, but to be kept in the loop. If you are not resident, you have to keep on top of things.

Your last question about using a neighbour as keyholder I can't really give a view on.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Tom

Post by Tom »

For cleaning and call-out I would figure E15 per hour, maybe a little less if you are paying 'on the black'. If you do it the legit way you are covered for insurance - seems to be more of an issue these days.