Phishing or whatever it's called from 'Lloyds'?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

Phishing or whatever it's called from 'Lloyds'?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Went fishing through my Gmail spam filter today and hooked out this:

Dear Valued Customer
In order to ensure the safety of your Lloyds TSB Internet Banking Account we need to periodically confirm your email address so no one can get unauthorized access to your account. Unconfirmed email addresses will no longer be able to login and view statements, transfer money or pay bills via Lloyds TSB system.

Click here to login and confirm your email address

Sincerely,

Lloyds TSB Security Department.

and a similar (image email) from Barclays.

Assume they are rubbish?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think, MG, of that you can be certain.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Gotta be - splits infinitives! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Dear MG,

Anything that starts with 'Dear Valued Customer' is a cert. Banks always claim to use the customers name.

Anyway, I can't imagine that any bank would own up to a customer being valued. :lol:

Robert
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Anyway, I can't imagine that any bank would own up to a customer being valued.
They used to be Robert...when I worked there[and yes there were quills...]

I started at the East Anglian Trustee Savings Bank when I left college....
All the emphasis was on the 'customers' and 'service'

Now sadly its changed We had an old fashioned bank Manager and would always come out and shake peoples hands ask about the family etc[and he was sincere]

When it altered to TSB .
.It was trying to compete with the big boys and started offering cheque books :D and Loans...
He wouldnt lend any money unless they had that amount in there account...[I cant be lending them that they might not be able to pay it back....and he was thinking of the customer :wink: ...]
We tried to tell him that if the customer had the money already he wouldnt be wanting to borrow it :roll:

Those days have gone sadly[and Bank Managers like him]
While I was still theyre we started looking at peoples accounts to see who could be targeted to be sold stuff....
If we didnt have some names at the end of the day we used to get nagged.....
People selling Unit Trusts used to phone to ask if they could pop round to have a chat and Bobs your Uncle....

Now its LLoyds TSB
Im still friends with a lot of the people who work there now
and the pressure is immense they have to ring someone in the morning tell them how many appointments etc they have and tell them how there going to increase that...
they get set targets and when they reach that they get increased....

Service is something that is last on the List Sadly...

This isnt unique all the banks are like it and its a shame... :cry:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Interesting insight Rozzie - your description of a typical bank manager all those years ago is reminiscent of the good old family GP who is now such a thing of the past. :cry: Dr Findlay et al. You have a pretty good spam filter then Mountie! Must drill down and check mine out periodically too, but it doesn't sound a particularly fun exercise. Incidentally I still get emails whose subject titles are (helpfully) 'SEXUALLY EXPLICIT' plopping into my Macmail inbox.....
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Gascony Goat wrote:
Interesting insight Rozzie - your description of a typical bank manager all those years ago is reminiscent of the good old family GP who is now such a thing of the past.
French Proverb:
You never know the worth of water until the well is dry.
Exactly the reason why so many of us have jumped ship and scuttled off to France over the last few years. Chasing dreams and recreating the past. Where will we go when the French finally embrace all the horrors of the modern world?

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sigh....roll on retirement Jimbo!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

I know the small print is boring but if one looks at the small print for LloydsTSB it says:-

While we may email you from time to time, we will never send you emails asking for your Internet banking or telephone banking information.

It seems pretty clear to me.

Fluffy
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

MG,

Is there a link to a web site on the email? if so could I have it if you have not already binned it.
Cheers
PC
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan, thanks, that makes sense.

It slightly concerns me that we had one from a Lloyds scammer, and one from a Barclays scammer, in quick succession, to a recently-started email address that we use with both banks for internet banking. Not sure if the banks would be interested, but I guess they both have some sort of reporting system.

PC, will check.

Later, no, double-deleted, will watch out for more. I know the last time I looked with one of these it had some very obscure domain in Latvia.

MG
paolo

Post by paolo »

No bank will ever ask you to confirm email address or banking details by email.

These are sent out in vast numbers, ostensibly from every bank, and they may get to you because your email address has been randomly generated, not necessarily because they have found it out there somehow. Apparently they have a big room with monkeys at keyboards typing email addresses.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,
Apparently they have a big room with monkeys at keyboards typing email addresses.
It is claimed that monkeys could re-write Shakespeare given sufficient time.

If these scammers had the ability of discovering e-mail addresses and passwords and additional personal information they would, and they would use it without the account holder's knowledge. The fact is they can’t get the passwords or the additional information, thus the Phishing e-mails.

Sorry to be blunt about this but if anyone responds, knowing what their Bank’s policy is, they only have themselves to blame for the consequences.

Fluffy