3-night inquiry at edge of on-season

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
vrooje

3-night inquiry at edge of on-season

Post by vrooje »

Hi all,

I just got an inquiry for 3 nights starting May 17. That's not the edge of our high season on paper, but in practice we don't always get bookings for the beginning of May.

I'm considering just saying, "nope, sorry, that's our high-season and we'd lose income if we offered you that." (In a more polite way, o'course!)

On top of it, the inquiry was for 2 adults and five children... though she said "ages 8-20" so I'm not sure how many actual children there are. Either way, seven people in our house is likely to be rather cramped...

What would you do?

Cheers!
Last edited by vrooje on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

I would say I don't do 3-night rentals, and work out the minimum I am prepared to rent the period for, given also the make-up of the party (lots of children=wear and tear, damage worries), and offer them that. I think that would be the equivalent of 5 nights at that time of year.

Then I would find a nice way of proposing it, like 'I only usually do 7-night rentals then because it is a popular time of year, but since my [insert nationality as appropriate] guests have always been good to me, I will offer to split the difference with you and charge a 5-night pro rata rate.'
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

We have the same dilemma at times Brooke. We used to do weekends figuring we may get the folk thru the door and then they may come back for a week or tell friends how great it was. However, as Paolo says there's wear and tear etc. We had to ask ourselves if it was worth driving 120 mile round trip, cleaning, changing the beds just for 2 nights and giving up the use of the place ourselves off season.

We have booked a 3 night break for April when I know we wouldn't have got a full week and we've priced it realistically, think we've been too cheap in the past.

Snow has just started falling again here :(
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Thanks :) I guess I knew what I was going to say, I just hate turning people down when technically the house is available.

I did send an e-mail offering 5 days... I doubt they'll take it, but we'll see!

Cheers!
Brooke