Gmail

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
reddevil

Gmail

Post by reddevil »

I do not have a gmail account.

But does anybody use gmail to automatically bounce all email messages received to your mobile phone?

Can gmail do this??
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

We do it with our Blackberry..........so yes.
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Re: Gmail

Post by Alan Knighting »

reddevil wrote:I do not have a gmail account.

But does anybody use gmail to automatically bounce all email messages received to your mobile phone?

Can gmail do this??
I have no idea but if you want a g-mail account so that you can try it just PM me with your e-mail address.

Fluffy
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Paul Carmel wrote:We do it with our Blackberry..........so yes.
Poor you - I spent a week handing over my current job to someone with a blackberry. For the first day it squeaked every 10 minutes and he picked it up to read the mail. Eventually, he put the notification on silent.

They are pernicious in commerce, basically making people slaves to their companies 24/7. In my latest client, senior managers are not meant to turn them off - ever!

John
Stu

Post by Stu »

I am soooooo glad I'm not a senior manager anymore!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

The joy of being your own boss, as for the Blackberry, It allows me to do what I want when I want and the off button is a regular feature.
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

To get this back on track try this link

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bi ... swer=54843
Cheers
PC
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

I have set up a gmail account thanx to Alan's invitation but haven't got the automatic messages to my mobile yet.

Paul - thanks for the link but what I was looking for firstly was just a (MMS?) message to my mobile whenever a message was sent to my gmail account.

The next stage would be to access the gmail account and respond to the email, but if I was sitting watching TV in my lounge then I could just go to the desktop computer.

I cannot get the message to my mobile phone but I think that could be because of the poor service by my service provider?

....still working on this one....
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

reddevil., I am Gmail user, and also need to check email when I don't always have access to the internet. I have a normal mobile phone (NOKIA 6111, but it also worked with my 6230), download opera mini from www.opera.mini.com onto your phone, and you can use your phone as a web browser more easily. It works a treat for gmail. If you don't use it too often, it's not too expensive depending on your mobile phone package.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thanks for the link Helen,

I think I might have confused things here? Actually, I am not looking to connect to the internet via my mobile phone (although this may be something for the future). At the moment, all I want is a message to my mibile notifying me that an email has been received.

I can then make the choice of where to access the email (eg. my mobile or home computer or internet cafe).

At the moment, I cannot even get the message to my phone :(
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I am not sure how it works in Europe, but in the US we can receive text messages on our phone by two methods: the standard one requiring your phone number, or a message sent to an e-mail address given specifically by the service provider.

So, I get text messages on my mobile from Gmail, but Gmail actually thinks that it is forwarding a message to another e-mail address, which is quite reliable. Thus my text message doesn't just notify me that I have an inquiry, but also gives me the first few lines of the message.

Would something like that work for you?
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Most of my enquiries and bookings come from either my online calendar, website, or other listing sites. I get sms alerts from most, but not all of them. I can't see anyway of gmail sending this as sms alert, but maybe brooke has an idea you could use, although I'm not sure if that works here. I do however have an email address wit my phone provider.