Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Researching the keywords for Tansy's site
Goto page Previous  1, 2

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolidayWebs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paulo,

I haven't yet got my head round all this either but can I ask a question re your Adwords research. When you list the number of times a key word was 'searched' on in Google, are you using the number of 'impressions' you got in Adwords? If you did, doesn't that depend on how much you bid & what other advertisers were bidding for? Did you bid the suggested amount (often very high) & hope no-one clicked? As in the article from High Rankings, you may still have to pay quite a bit if you want to be sure you get an 'impression' every time someone searches in google. If you don't then you may be getting more 'impressions' for one keyword than another because there were fewer other advertisers bidding on it.

Or am I missing something here?
paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolidayWebs wrote:

When you list the number of times a key word was 'searched' on in Google, are you using the number of 'impressions' you got in Adwords? If you did, doesn't that depend on how much you bid & what other advertisers were bidding for? Did you bid the suggested amount (often very high) & hope no-one clicked?

That's right, to get accurate figures you must set your 'bid' (the most you want to pay for a click) for each phrase so that your ad appears on page 1 of Google. Google shows 8 ads per page so you have to be in the top 8 positions every time.

In your campaign stats you can see which position your ad is averaging, and I made sure mine were all at 5 or better, by tinkering with my bid levels. For almost all the search phrases I was targeting I was in the top 3 or 4 anyway at the minimum bid of 4p per click.

Of course you are only told the average position so it could be that sometimes your ad is in number 1 position and sometimes it is in number 9, averaging out at 5. That is something I don't know about.

Why must you be in the top 8? Because most searchers on Google only look at the first page of results. So if your ad doesn't appear on page 1 your data will be messed up.

In case you're interested, the ad I wrote to deliberately not get any clicks was:

Quote:
french house
Fully booked for 2005
booking for 2007

I thought that it was not sufficiently useless to get no clicks at all, and I was right. Out of 1240 impressions it was clicked on 19 times, for a respectable click-through of 1.5%. No harm done because those clicks cost under £2. But I was disappointed, as a copywriter I should have done better - I'd like to know how many of those clicks were accidental!

Anyway the clicks were directed at one of Tansy's ads, so she may even have benefited.
livinginitaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
french house
Fully booked for 2005
booking for 2007

Have to say that this 'ad' would have raised my 'inquisitive nature' and i'd have been unable to resist a 'click' .... seems like many others managed to abstain though!

Also have to admit that i'm still getting my head around the £0.04p ppc ........... seeing as though my main experience of Google Ads is in the Financial Sector @ between £5.00 to £15.00 ppc!

One more 'also' ......... I believe you instinctively 'know' if something isn't right, and if a 'key phrase' wasn't getting the expected number of 'hits' due to a low ppc, it'd stand out like the 'sore thumb' Smile
paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have to say that this 'ad' would have raised my 'inquisitive nature' and i'd have been unable to resist a 'click'

Yes, that's why I didn't think it would achieve zero clicks, some people might want to see what a house that's booked till 2007 looks like!

Perhaps something like:

Quote:
no longer available:
undergoing maintenance

would have been better, or

Quote:
asbestos danger
but nice kitchenette

livinginitaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion ......

Quote:
no longer available:
undergoing maintenance

shows skill

but ......

Quote:
asbestos danger
but nice kitchenette

shows true flair Wink
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed out loud at the latter ad idea!

That is fantastic.

I kept thinking of things to compete, like "carcinogenic fumes from slaughterhouse / air filters included" or something... but yours just tops them all.

You just made my night!

I, too, would have wanted to know what a house that's booked until 2007 looked like. If your ad said "please don't click this" I probably would anyway, since I use Firefox in Linux -- there'd be minimal danger to my system.
paolo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tansy,

I can't find the post but did I read that you want the site to promote both your houses? I'm going to have a go at the copy for the homepage, but obviously if there are two houses it will impact the copy and the structure of the site.

Cheers!
tansy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...been attempting to install ADSL - I ignored the new modem for as long as I could because of time constraints with all that is going on if it went wrong...but Wanadoo locked me out today until I got it installed...and yes I got in a muddle ...all stressed with no one in Paris speaking English....do you know what it was? the instructions do not tell you clearly, I hadn't put one of the filters on the 2nd phone point..that was all!!!! Embarassed The whole day of stress for that!!!

Anyway..why didn't I get ADSL before - it's so fast!!

To answer your question yes please the other house to be included - I have sent photos over to Tony already...he has actually put one of them up on the site...BTW love the shell at the bottom.

Do you want me to publish words on here?

Best wishes

Tansy
tansy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy Paolo..I have some other pages that if possible could have their own headings - then would cover both properties...what's in the kitchen cupboards, one on pets, directions from Calais, Paris & Cherbourg

But this below describes St Germain Sur Ay....this house is on the west coast Utah Beach on the east coast...if you drew a line across the Cherbourg peninsular the 2 houses are directly opposite each other...easiest geography explanation I can think of!

Quote:
One of the top 15 beach rentals in the world as selected by The Observer this is a fabulous modern seafront villa with sensational uninterrupted sea views, the garden gate opening onto one of the most 22 beautiful beaches in France as selected by The Sunday Telegraph.

The white sand stretches as far as the eye can see with views across to Jersey, on a clear day it is possible to make out the houses on the Island. At low tide you can also see the buildings on the legendary Isles of Ecrehou. All this from the panoramic windows of the house.

The house designed over 3 floors has maximised the stunning views with a raised elevation overlooking the sea. Built less than 10 years ago it is modern, with comfortable living accommodation set in a conservation area of significant importance.

This year 2005 we have 6 families returning for this summer, with one family who loved it so much, they have even bought a house in the village! One family is back for 3rd time.

In the village there is a large equestrian centre with horse riding on the beaches dependant on your level of skills. Boat trips to Jersey and surrounding islands also available along with day fishing trips.

There are also boat trips available for dolphin watching. Sand yachting, wind surfing and swimming all along the beach, which is patrolled by life guards during the summer months.

Incidentally September is a splendid month in Normandy - the sea is at it's warmest, the weather is still superb and warm plus the vast majority of folk have gone back to Paris so it is tranquil.

In the winter St Germain has 882 residents in the summer it is in excess of 8,882 residents mostly Parisians! The place comes to life in July and August with 5 restaurants, a market, funfair, 2 boulangeries, butchers, pizza take away parlour, on Sundays legs of lamb and chickens are cooked on open fires - (you need to pre order though), up and down the coast are the various fetes and festivals which are well worth visiting...plenty to do and see.

The rest of the year we still have a mini mart with a bread point, 2 restaurants, the pizza parlour and the butchers.

A sunny, cheerful large L shaped south westerly facing lounge/dining room on the ground floor with sensational uninterrupted panoramic views across the sea to Jersey. A perfect room to relax in, witness glorious sunsets or just while away the hours watching the scenery.

Watch the tractors launching the boats on the beach, the fishermen tending the oyster and mussel beds, the dramatic weather from time to time.
The glass dining table is cleverly placed so that everyone can see the sea whilst dining the strategically placed mirrors mean that anyone with their back to the view still sees it.
TV with BBC and ITV from Jersey, video player & a selection of videos, a DVD player plus a CD stereo/radio.

A fantastic modern fireplace for log fires in the winter.

In the well equipped kitchen you will find salt, pepper, herbs, sugar, tea, coffee, mustards, olive oil, ketchup, stock cubes, pasta etc. etc. - all we ask our guests is to top up anything they use before they go.

All the linen is supplied and the beds made up for your arrival. All the furniture, bedding, towels etc are all of good quality with a nautical theme throughout. Even a bucket & spade and beach towels are available. Sun loungers, deck chairs and huge Portuguese BBQ in the garden, plus a patio area with table and chairs for 10

We have available 2 cots, 2 highchairs, toilet trainers, baby baths, bottle sterilizers, changing mats just ask!

Dogs are positively welcomed. The garden is child and dog proof.
How to build your own personal website from scratch