I saw Ross Elder on TV tonight!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Normandy Cow

I saw Ross Elder on TV tonight!

Post by Normandy Cow »

That's Ross Elder from the HolidayLettings website.

The program was called "Pay off your mortgage in 2 years" on BBC2. It featured a couple who were trying to do this, and one of their schemes for making money was to set up a lettings website. They'd bought a ski apartment in Bulgaria, and decided that instead of paying other people to advertise their property for them, they would set up their own website and get other rental home owners to pay them (sound familiar? :lol: )

The program makers arranged for them to get some advice and they went in to the holidaylettings offices to meet Ross. I am glad to report that this is definitely not a "one man and his dog" type operation - they operate from a nice modern office block and appear to be fully staffed. Ross seemed very pleasant and even managed to keep a straight face when the guy told him that he was projecting a turnover of £20,000 in the first year, i.e. 2-300 rental owners paying him £100 each!!!!. (He should have done his research and joined LMH before making such grandiose plans!). Ross quite rightly advised him not to invest too much capital into the project as it is a very competitive business! (What? You don't say! :lol: )

Anyway, the project kind of never got off the ground, mainly because none of the other flats in the block where he had bought his property had actually been built yet, and so the only photos they were able to display on the website were building sites, and in the end he realised just how much work was involved in creating a new holiday rentals website (What? You don't say! :lol: ).

But the couple were likeable enough and hard-working, and by various methods they did nearly manage to pay off most of their 100k mortgage, even without the website, so all's well that ends well.....
:D :D :D
A-two

Post by A-two »

Great feedback, thanks, and given some of the other posts on LMH tonight, I can honestly say this post is not biased and that CatherineS does NOT work for the listing site under review. Her opinion is 100% impartial bonefide review.

Of course, you don't REALLY know whether or not we are working in cohoots on a devious plan to get a free listing ..... :? ...naaah....jus' kiddin'..... :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

working in cohoots
Never heard of there......Is it a Nice place to work...do they need any more staff.... :wink: :lol:

Seriously thanks for posting I would have loved to have seen it...I watch quite a few of these want to start a NEW life sort of things but I was out :( .......Wonder if it will be repeated....
enid

Post by enid »

I saw it but I missed that bit - drat - I think it was my turn to get the drinks and Ross Elder would mean nothing to Kevin ( he doesn't know about alll the men in my life :wink: ).

We were sceptical about the new listing site though - but they are on target to make £19,000 profit from the apartment in Bulgaria so as you say - all's well that ends well.