How do you answer this question?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Marks

How do you answer this question?

Post by Marks »

I would be interested to know how you answer the question "how do I know the property exists and you're not going to pocket my money?"

My usual answer is to direct them to the various websites that I advertise on and suggest they contact the webmaster/owner to see if there have been any complaints against me. Usually does the trick but sometimes doesn't so would be interested to hear other people's views.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

A copy of a utility bill does the trick.
Cheers
PC
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Interesting question Mark. I've not been asked it yet but at least I'll be prepared for it now that you've introduced the subject. Have you a web link? Couldn't see it in your signature.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

What a suspicious world we live in - sadly, for good reason.

John
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have had this question a few times, and I ask some previous renters to contact them. This never fails to secure the booking because they send such gushing tributes.

More people should ask this question, especially if they are only looking at an ad on a listing site. There was a thread on Slow Travel recently from a renter who had paid a deposit and never heard from the 'owner' again. It was a scam, someone had put a fake ad up on a listing site. I don't want to say on a public site how much easier it would be for scammers to stop emailing us and target the renters instead.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I agree with Paolo.
I would direct them to previous guests (I have a few who have said they'd be happy to have their email given out - and thats important these days because of data protection etc)

Also I had a situation last summer where a friend had his pictures taken from a site and used on another by someone completely unrelated to him (I started a thread about it all if anyone wants to read about it)
Luckily I spotted it early on & checked with friends usual manager, they then contacted the rental site who was fantastic in sorting it out. But it does go to show that these things happen

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!