OK Guys..I've a real dilemma

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
tansy

OK Guys..I've a real dilemma

Post by tansy »

What do I do...what would you do?

I've an enquiry for the anniversary week - 4th - 11th June - the enquiry first came in on 6th Febraury..I've just had stupid questions all the way through...in fact I did my best to put them off. Family of 11 - want a cot for baby.I did not mark it off the availability chart and put on the invoice in bold about deposit for damage (don't normally do this), then I had an email as cc to the enquiriers mother..I'm handing this over to you Mum..no deposit has arrived - I rang..she says she posted it to the bank...impossible no address...so she says she then posted another cheque to the property address...10 miles away (my address is on the bottom of every email I send out) she also says because of the snow in Kent it will take longer to get across...but they really, really want the house.

This morning I have an enquiry from a delightful family (with a little dog) who were the perfect guest's last year, want to come for a month...would you give the heave ho to the folk that have messed me about and only want a week? ...
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Tansy

I can understand your hesitation, but in our experience the guests that mess you about before they arrive are also the worst guests when they arrive.

Take the booking form the people you know. I would be tempted to do this even if they only wanted a week, but as they want a month I don't think there is any question.

After all, if they want to come back this year, maybe they'll come back next year, and the year after ...

If it makes you feel better make up some excuse for the other party, but if you haven't got their deposit, they haven't got a booking.

Ju
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I am with Ju on this one! No deposit no booking.
Cheers
PC
tansy

Post by tansy »

My husband Mike said exactly the same...as I was typing it out I was thinking what am I doing...but I needed to hear it from someone else...I've done the deed..and feel really good! Like I'm in control!

Our guests are happy - to accomodate them for a month they will have to move to the house on the west coast for a week...they are thrilled with this idea...

So thank you Paul & Ju
:lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi- I'm sure you've done the right thing- it'll be interesting to see if the original people's cheque ever does turn up! 8)

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

well the son who originally enquired rang to see if he could talk me round...I had the whole lot - aunt had just died of cancer that is why it is late going out...but according to him cheque has been sent - but the dates weren't right for dates his mother said?!

Fortunately he had a call come in whilst talking to me and he was on speaker phone...I worked it out he is a self employed person - so when I turned it round and said what we he do in my position he agreed that he would do the same!

So like you say it will be interesting to see if this cheque does appear!

Cheque in the post....how many times have I heard that?!!
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Classic time wasters --- no deposit no booking!!!!

You have def done the right thing.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Just adding my vote of agreement -- you've done exactly the right thing! :)
Brooke