more people than they said

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
rosario

more people than they said

Post by rosario »

Hello everybody,

Next March a retired couple is coming to our house in Costa de la Luz for 3 weeks. We have known each other by e.mail and phone for one year- they were going to come in March 05 but the day before they had to cancel by a health problem that did not allow them into a plane. Now the question is that I gave them a good price for being a couple, and he says right now that their daught & husband wil be joining them for a long weekend and a couple of friends who are in Spain will join them the last 3 or 4 days of their stay. I really think I have to give them a different price. What do you think?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Rosario

Do you advertise your property per person or for the whole unit?

For example we advertise ours as a whole unit and it can accommodate up to 9 persons. If we get an initial booking for 5 people and 3 more people are added at a later date we don't charge extra. Obviously we take details of the extra people and add them onto to the booking form. (One thing we don't like are extra guests turning up that we don't know about.)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Rosario

we do the same as Crystal, and as long as they don't go over the maximum occupancy again we don't bother.
But if you've priced the accomodation based on only 2 people I would say that you are quite within your rights to charge more.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
rosario

Post by rosario »

I advertise my property as a whole unit, but in low season, as the case is, I make different prices depending on the number of people, for example:
2 people: 240 euros
3/4 " 290 euros
5/6 " 350 euros
brenda

Post by brenda »

If your price includes electricity I would certainly charge more if you have based your price on just 2 people.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Rosario,
There are several bits missing from this story. Questions:

1. In March 05, did you offer them another week at the same price without giving a time limit?

2. When you agreed the price in 05, was it a special discount for two people, below your normal rates?

4. Have you upgraded your place at all in the interveing two years, added amenities?

5. What's the difference in price for the week that they want? (Please state figures as a % of the original rate and as a sum of real money, because I want to guage how much you're talking about).

All of the above are factors in your decision, but the one thing I would not do is accept the booking with any reluctance in my heart. Both of you have to be comfortable in your decision or you're starting off on the wrong foot. It's been two years since they booked, that's a long time and reasonable people would expect prices to have gone up in that time, and be happy to pay extra.

The most important thing to do is to keep whatever promise you made to them in 05. If that has proved a mistake in hindsight, too bad, nonor it this time and don't do it again. It might make you feel better about it to think how wonderful it is for them that they are well enough to come back, and not in worse health. Keeping promises is more important than a few dimes in your pocket. Welcome them with open arms and an open heart, whether you charge extra or not, sometimes the money isn't the most important thing.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Joanna wrote: Keeping promises is more important than a few dimes in your pocket. Welcome them with open arms and an open heart, whether you charge extra or not, sometimes the money isn't the most important thing.
Joanna, are you really an estate agent (or real estate broker)???? You sound far to nice.
rosario

Post by rosario »

Hi Brenda and Joanna,
A.- My price included electricity
B.- In March 06 (I made a mistake, it was not March 05) I gave them a different (higher) price, as I had not began to offer different prices depending on the number of people.
C.- As I have not collected a deposit from them (this is not my usual way, but he wanted to send me a 100 euro note by mail and I told him not to do it, because I do not trust mail here very much) because he finds problems in doing a bank transfer, I think they can look for another accommodation if they think I am not right in asking for 60 euros more than before.

Thank you all