Review site please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Is anyone else seeing what Paolo is seeing? I have checked and everyone I have spoken to with IE are not seeing that!
Will rethink the title/banner bit Paolo!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I am on IE 6 and there is no problem with the display. The captions all appear beneath the pictures.
MYBEACHCOTTAGEFL

Post by MYBEACHCOTTAGEFL »

I don't have as much technical advice to offer as the others..just a few things I noticed that they didn't comment on....

On rates page you state "recognise" and it should be "recognize".

Also the outdoor pictures are gorgeous but only one kitchen picture. I would be scared to stay in a place when I don't know what the interior looks like.

You do a beautiful job describing w/ great adjectives on your first page.

Oh and for the kids, "down to bucket and spades for the children"....that may be an acceptable term in Europe (I don't know) but in the States its "shovel and pail"...don't know your target market so it may be fine the way you have it.

I love the banner! Great job!
My Beach Cottage..make it YOURS during your vacation!http://home.earthlink.net/~mybeachcottage/
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hm... is "recognise" acceptable as british english?
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

is "recognise" acceptable as british english?
US English uses the 'z' for words like recognize, fertilize, realize. British English favours the 's', although either is correct. I don't know if either is correct in US English. I like to flit between the two.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

meishka wrote:Is anyone else seeing what Paolo is seeing? I have checked and everyone I have spoken to with IE are not seeing that!
Will rethink the title/banner bit Paolo!
Wow- I think your site is great and I'm bookmarking it for a potential out of season stay! I have IE and have no problems with the pictures/captions!

My only bug was having to allow pop-ups to get to your availibility page,I always find this frustrating and often don't bother, I just click off and go elsewhere!!

Great -looking site :)

www.thepetitmanoir.com
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Thanks for that Fraise and thanks to everyone else who has posted, it has really boosted my confidence, I have been wanting to do this for two years and finally managed it, didn't even know what HTML was 4 weeks ago! So thanks again!
Re the pop ups on the availability page, I didn't realise it did that, I use a pop up blocker here but I guess I have no control so perhaps I should be thinking of using another sort of calander!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Meishka. I really enjoyed your site and think that your property looks gorgeous. I can't add much to what has already been said, but hope the following might be useful:

1. At the bottom of each page you have an email address as a contact point. I think it would be helpful to also have a phone number (some people do like to pick up the phone and make an immediate booking) and it would be more personal to have a contact name so that your potential guests know who they are contacting. (And a question from me - do I know you as Jacki in a previous email? Sorry if that's cryptic but I could be wrong :oops: ).

2. You've got some good photos of the interior of the apartment. Is it possible to remove the date from them? I just think it would look better - and would make the photos timeless rather than dated!

3. At first I didn't understand what a duplex was - although I soon worked it out. Are you targetting the UK or US market or both?

Hope this helps and that your season is going well.

PS: A question for LivinginItaly Tony. I noticed that in your code for Meishka's site you put things like : holiday rental Spain, rental accommodation Costa Blanca. Is it important to have the full phrase or just the key words but not necessarily in any order? I was taught the later.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Hi Christine
yes its me Jacki, thank you for your comments and your previous help, glad you like the site! I can now do some housework..............
We are going over in the easter period and hope to take some much better photos of the interior, we have a new suite as well, this time I will remember to take the date thing off the camera, I have tried to do it myself in paintshop pro on a few but takes a while!!
actaully Christine I don't understand what a duplex is either!! Bit if a dilemma really as the spanish call our place anything from a duplex (which I always thought was a property on two floors and ours isn't!) and a ground floor bungalow!!!!! Was advised not to call it an apartment by someone as people tend to think its in a block which of course it isn't and a lot of people don't want an 'apartment!!' So have gone with duplex for now!!
Yes I think maybe a telephone number would be nice but was a bit worried about having it plastered all over the net, what do others think?
On another note there is a website here (hope you don't mind Paolo) http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/
that checks your webpage re your keywords etc. Am a bit confused cos to get good results I have to put keywords that are on the page I have written and this isn't necessalrily what people are going to type in to search, infact to get a good result with submitexpress.com its quite a way off the words I want to put in!!! Is this website the right way to be looking at it?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Am a bit confused cos to get good results I have to put keywords that are on the page I have written and this isn't necessalrily what people are going to type in to search, infact to get a good result with submitexpress.com its quite a way off the words I want to put in!!!
Can you clarify that? I'm not sure I've understood. If you mean that you have no important keywords on your homepage, you have to work out what those keywords are and rewrite the page to include them. Then do the same for each of your pages, focusing on 2-3 keywords/phrases for each page.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

For instance key words of these
Holiday rental in Spain Holiday, rental, Torrevieja, Spain, Costa Blanca, rental, rent in Torrevija, apartment rental Torrevieja, Costa Blanca rental, apartment in Torrevieja, apartments for rent, apartment rentals

give a 'Keyword relevancy to page content is terrible 27%

These key words
Torrevieja, sunny property, Casa de Suenos, Jardin Del Mar, rental in Spain Torrevieja, rent all year, ground floor property, duplex, healthiest climate in the world, sandy beaches, sunbathing, residents pool, golf courses, Costa Blanca, Aqua Park, bars, restaurants, salt flats, spanish, holiday

gives Keyword relevancy to page content is fair 85%

I guess its telling me the second is better but the first is what people may put in. I feel I do have most of the words in the first keywords pargraph, maybe not 'apartment' so is the second really better?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Meishka,

The first lot of keywords are what you have entered in your html in the Keywords tag. So they are what you jusge to be the most relevant search terms to your site, i.e. your site is most likely to appeal to people typing in these search terms.

The second bunch of keywords is telling you what your actual most frequently used words and terms are in the text of this page. As the analyser program is telling you, the two sets of keywords are quite different.

So if you are confident of your first set of keywords, you need to sprinkle those around your text. See the Tutorials and articles for improving your website, for advice on how to do this.

If I were you I would not bother optimising with any phrases containing Spain or Costa Blanca - too competitive. I would go for Torrevieja or smaller, plus an accommodation type.
Paolo
Lay My Hat