Terms and Conditions

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
vinent20

Terms and Conditions

Post by vinent20 »

We started the year with a one page Terms and Conditions document which we left at the house for the Guests in an attempt to answer those silly questions (where is the flour sieve, cause we want to bake some bread) that we were phoned up about during peoples stay at our house.
After 2006 we now have 2 pages of what I can only describe as minute (but readable) print.
This has grown to these gigantic proportions to basically protect us from 'Renters from Hell' - which we have had a fair proportion of. The lastest quibble is someone who expected us to pay his bank charges for his holiday.
Q1/ Has anybody else needed to produce T&C?
Q2/ As people dont read most of the information you give them, at what point and where do you supply these T&C?
Q3/ Does anybody ask for T&C when you book flights?
Cheers
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Vinent20 - welcome! We have a personal website, so our Terms and Conditions are found on a new page when you go to the booking section, and click on the link. Guests book our property by printing off the booking form (also accessed on the site) which has provision on it for them to sign that they have read and agree the T's and C's. Even if you don't use snail mail, but the booking is all done over the internet, I think that as long as the punter clicks a box that says he has read and agrees to the Ts and Cs, it amounts to the same thing.

I don't put any 'you must nots' in our actual advertising, except to say that we don't accept pets, and that smokers do so outside! Otherwise you are putting people off - it's when they are preparing to book that you steer them towards your Ts and Cs. In our case, people who are visiting the site can read them at any time if it's of interest, but they're not there in neon lights! I doubt many do.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Hi Vinent and welcome.

Can't really comment on t&c as I'm new to renting out as well, but I was intrigued by the chap who expected you to pay his bank charges. WHAT??? Why had he incurred them, and whatever made him think you would be liable?

Yours in mystery,

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I have a set of T&C's which are sent along with the booking receipt. They bascially cover things like insurance, not being rowdy, cancellations & what they can expect from us etc

I also have a set of 'villa rules' this covers things that I don't want them to do in more detail...such as only plastic cups/plates etc around the pool, no noise outside after midnight (its a law here on Ibiza), not taking inside furniture outisde etc etc

Then I also have information sheets - which bascially tell them how to use the dishwasher, where the iron is etc.

The villa rules & info sheet are left on the bed for each guest to read (otherwise they only leave it to the booker)

I then leave departure notes when I do the midweek/last clean reminding them of the time of departure and what they'll be charged for on additional cleaning (also mentioned in my T&C's)

having written all that it sounds like a nightmare! But believe me they all have their place and the departure notes inparticular help to clarify what would be charged for if additional cleaning is required (it also allows me to thank them once again for booking & to offer assistance in organising a taxi)

Mouse (also intrigued as to why someone would expect you to pay their charges!)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What I call terms and conditions are the terms and conditions under which I rent the property, which include notification of things like arrival, departure, security deposit, liability of damage, cancellation etc. I always give these and get them signed up front at the time of booking.
In the houses themselves is more general info relating to the house, garden and swimming pool, where things are and how to leave the property. They are the 'régles de vie' or Information packs. I wouldn't leave the terms and conditions until people actually get to the property, they need to be seen and agreed up front.

Mouse, I've just seen your post and feel as if I've duplicated it, but I agree, Ts and Cs are different to the information packs.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I have terms & conditions which are e:mailed at the time of reservation along with the booking form. I believe its very important to have these read ahead of time, agreed and signed upon. We have some strict policies in place to protect both the house and our neighbours. We also have a guest manual in the house which includes everything from how to work the TV's to mapquest directions of the nearest grocery stores