Swimming Pool Size

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Our (closed for the winter) pool is 15 meters long, rectangular, and a lot of work! I dont think the shape matters at all and I do agree 100% with the others, the decking and what you have it furnished with are just as important. I guess it also depends on whether a property is promoted as a retreat in which case the more lavish and larger the pool the better. I rented a place by the beach once with a small attractive pool and it was great, didn't really care about the size as long as the kids had room to play and I could sit in the sun in my spf 45.. darn Scottish skin.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Thanks very much for all the replies.

We've decided to go for a 9m * 4m pool mainly rectangular, slightily rounded. Hopefully this should be big enough for 4-6 people to have a splash.

Jamie
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:) Heated?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

If we are going to get the best use out of it, most probably, and looking at some of the previous links regarding the subject it does appear to be a worthwhile investment. Although it does seem a big investment when we are probably still over a year away from hopefully starting to rent the house out.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Charente :) ,

Good luck .
I know it must seem more to lay out in the short term but as the majority of the posters here think its the best way ,I really would bite the bullet and do it :) ...

They are the Best people to advise you as they are the ones who have the experience of what you need to have a successful Renting business....
Theyre actually living it and if like me they have learnt things along the way theyre generously sharing theyre knowledge with you....

You only need to read some past posts to realise what a fund of information these guys willingly share........

That is the real beauty of this website and its posters and Im sure as soon as your up and running youll thank your Lucky Stars to have found it :o ...

I know I have :wink: :lol:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Has anyone got an above ground wooden pool? those swedish looing hexagonal types? Our urbanisation has 4 huge pools but they only open them between 14 June - 14 September and I know I lose bookings because of this. We have a very large terrace area bit enough for a hexagonal 4 m above ground pool but I was wondering what the pros and cons were.

Obviously they are too small to really swim in but in my experience people want to book our house from May to June and are only really concerned about their children being able to use a pool, many adults just want to cool off (as Alan mentioned) and then sunbathe whilst keeping an eye on the kids.

Our property manager would be able to do the maintenance side of it but I wondered what experiences any one else has of them? ie, filtration, chemicals etc. Are they difficult to look after, more pain that it's worth?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Thanks Ros.
I fully agree with your comments about the heated pool, I will have to look into the different methods of heating and find out which one suits us best.
With regards to the site I have already found lots of really good ideas and useful tips, which will hopefully save years of learning by our own mistakes, once we are up and running.
Jamie