European costs - compared to Mexico - for an American family

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mountain Goat

European costs - compared to Mexico - for an American family

Post by Mountain Goat »

An interesting comment by a potential American guest, who's been waiting for air-fares to fall and they haven't yet:

It's hard to spend the same on airfare only to Europe that we could spend on 7 days at a 4 star, all inclusive, in Mexico, airfare included though -- I know, I know, Switzerland should NEVER be compared to Mexico but ...

MG
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

MG, doesn't that depend on where they are in the US? Certainly if they are in Texas that might be true, but perhaps not Virginia or Chicago or New York...

(I don't actually know, I'm just guessing.)

The last statement, though, is quite true. They're so different... both are vacations, but they scratch different itches, so to speak.
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Brooke, I don't know much about Mexican travel deals, but I guess there's some good value off-season. They're in Vermont, and their travel arrangements to Geneva do look expensive - I'll keep trying.

MG
A-two

Post by A-two »

The answer to that one is yes, Switzerland isn't cheap, and we wouldn't want you to come and then not be able to afford to do the things you really enjoy, so although we'd love to meet you, perhaps you ought to rethink the whole thing and come another time when it's not such a stretch?

Reverse psychology and all that stuff.....

But I have to say that in my experience, the people who book don't haggle, so you're probably wasting your breath with this one.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree Joanna; but let us know the outcome Mountie.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

If they're so concerned about it, why not fly to a much cheaper place like Paris and take the train to Geneva? That's probably what we'd end up doing...
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Brooke, good idea, I'll suggest it. I've found them a cheapo to Manchester, and a good connection to Geneva, so will compare the two. There's a TGV through to Geneva as well.

MGTravel Inc.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I hope that works for them... the U.S. long-distance train system is so shoddy (expensive and always late, with very few high-speed trains -- and I'm not even sure those are that fast) that many Americans don't even think to consider taking the train in Europe.
Brooke