Paying Rental on Arrival

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Overboard

Paying Rental on Arrival

Post by Overboard »

We have a group of French Canadians who wish to stay in Edinburgh however they would like to pay half now as deposit and half on arrival. I recall reading here that the French do it this way. What do you think? Do you ask for cash when they check in? Are there any problems with doing it this way? Thanks for any advice.. I have to advise my mum what to do here. Actually I'll send her the link to this subject...
paolo

Post by paolo »

Some people (not me obviously) do this because they don't have to declare the income. I think it is quite widespread among French owners.

If the renters have paid half in advance they are unlikely not to turn up. But it is important to have some sort of dialogue with them, by phone or email, so you get a sense of whether they are trustworthy.

Also, make sure they are 100% clear that they have to pay cash on arrival. If they come with a cheque, they could be helping themselves to a half-price holiday, because it might not clear/bounce before they leave. In my experience it is not enough to say "You absolutely must bring cash", you have to hear them say "We will bring cash".
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

paolo wrote:Some people (not me obviously) do this because they don't have to declare the income. I think it is quite widespread among French owners.
I think that is a little unfair - it is widespread between French owners because it is the way that the Gites de France operate with their terms and conditions and traditionally many French owners belong to this organisation.

90% of my French guests pay by cheque when they arrive, not cash, but as been stated here before there are heavy penalties for writing a wooden cheque in France so they are a moreorless guaranteed method of payment with no problem of clearing.

However, your place is not in France, so I would take the payment as you want, but if they want to pay on arrival, ask for cash as Paolo has said.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I stand corrected, I didn't know that about Gites de France. Owners I know who do it are not with G de F and are motivated, I guess, by the benefit of non-declaration.

From the renter's point of view there is a benefit too - they are not sending full payment to a complete stranger on the internet whose house may not exist, or may not resemble the pictures they have seen.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Thank you for the advice. I've still not decided what to do as it's a little strange. I don't sense they are nervous about renting with us so why would 6 adults not just pay the full amount now (the rental is within the next 8 weeks and as per my T&C payment should be made in full). They have to go to the bank anyway. What to do what to do.