is this person trying to scam me?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
lizshereen

is this person trying to scam me?

Post by lizshereen »

I'll try and say this without waffling!
basically
I got a booking for my bed and breakfast from a buisness man in London to bring him and his family to limousin saying he wanted to house hunt and wanted to stay for ten weeks three rooms, he cancelled the first time in January and then rebooked for the 30th of March His emails were not of the usual scam type and I thought it was genuine anywayhe sent a money order for the ten weeks three rooms at 200 euros per week =600 euros per week =6000 euros I put it in the bank it has been there for about ten days, and he has cancelled saying his wife has been taken ill, I wrote back saying I would send the money back minnus the 10% nonreturnable deposit plus bank charges ==620 euros, now he is threatening me if i dont send the money back now he will not be happy! I have no address or telephone number I am really frightened of this mans attitude
and i dont know whether the money order has cleared
It was a Barcleys bank money order issued in poole Dorset
What I want to know is
how long do these things take to clear, as I read on the forums about you sending money back and then the order bounces after weeks and people have sent money
The bank is not helpful as my french is not good and They say they cannot tell me anything, I usually get a letter when cheques have cleared which I have not
I am starting to get really worried, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
thanks Liz
Last edited by lizshereen on Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bye for now, lizzy.x
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

It sounds like a scam to me.

I dont know what to advise only can say what I would do. Inform him that the funds will be returned only when you have recieved full and final clearance from the bank.

If you return the funds now and the original order "bounces" you will be liable for the loss. Even though the money appears in your account it has still not been cleared and can take weeks between foriegn banks!!!

Be very very careful.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Never take a booking without an address...but we all learn as we go along!

Ring Barclaysbank and ask them or your bank in the UK...which bank are you with in France? Credit Agricole have English departments - for example ours for Normandy is in Caen...there must be one in your area...just keep asking at your bank for an English speaker I'm sure your bank will have someone - the French are very pratical and helpful...they do want to help...if you can't get help that way look for someone who speaks better french than you in your area and get them to help.

But I would not re-imburse anything as yet...front this guy up and say once it has gone through you will be delighted return monies due to him.

Good luck - don't be bullied
lizshereen

re scam

Post by lizshereen »

yes Im in credit agicole, the south west branch I've rang the bank and they say theres knowone who speaks English I'm also in Britline and I know wish I'd put the cheque in there but thats my personal account and the local one is for the band b Ive checked the IP address and it said it was Isreal! Ive also told him in no uncertain terms he will recieve a refund util the money order clears, its really hard for b and b' s as you often don't take addresses as you do in Gites, however I have asked for his phone number and address several times with no response, this is the first time I have come accross this as I thought it was genuine not at all like the other type of scams I have got and everyone talks about, they must be getting more advanced!
to be honest Im really starting to worry and dreading the next email, I wished i hadn't put the order in the bank I will ring Barcleys in poole up tomorrow.
bye for now, lizzy.x
tansy

Post by tansy »

Liz...we were lead to believe that Credit Agricole prides itself that there is at least one English speaker in every branch...the problem you have is that the French don't like to speak English unless they are perfect grammer etc....not like us ...Big white hunter come in silver bird!!

Someone will break in the branch and will be able to speak English, the get fed up hearing their language being crucified!....once you find them stick to them like glue!

Don't panic...if he's in Israel that's cool! He can't exactly arrive on the door step and just keep deleting in the mean time.

Talking of scams I've just had my email from Arafat's financial advisor who has got so much money he's trying to hide - give him our bank details and we'll become millionaires....like Oh OK :roll:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Liz,

It's a scam! If he pestering you tell him to take it up with his bank as the funds are not in your account.
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Liz,

Without reading the correspondence between you I can't tell you if this is a scam or not. But it does have all the ingredients of a scam. I would tell him firmly and politely that you are unable to return his money until it is cleared funds in your account - how can you send something you do not have?

Whatever you do, don't send him any refund until you have it in writing from your bank that the money is yours. But I suspect it won't come to that.

Be strong!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

Just sit tight and try not to worry.

Just because you have deposited the cheque or money order,NO MONEY has been transfered until the cheque has cleared, therefore you cannot be responsible for returning something you dont have yet.

The bank will soon write to you if the cheque/money order bounces.

If the guy is genuine all he has to do is arrange to cancel the cheque at his bank.

PJ
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I can only reinforce what has already been said. Do not under any circumstances transfer anything out of your Account for this man (by way of transfer, cheque or cash) until your Bank has acknowledged to you, in writing, that the funds are now cleared funds in your Account and are available for your use.

Also, until he gives you his postal address you have nowhere to send anything!

Be very firm about this, do not bend to his pressure or threats, do nothing until you know it is safe to do so.

Alan
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Without much hesitation, I would think that this is a typical "rubber money for good money" scam where the guy at the other end is swapping a dud cheque for good money from your account. Hence the hurry to cancel, as he knows that he has only 4-8 weeks to finish off the scam before you realise that his original payment has bounced.
That is why I always insist on money transfers (swift) as there is no chance of being lumped with a bounced cheque this way.
As for his threats, I would'nt take him too seriously. Conmen are usually good bluffers, but all bark, no bite, especially if they are a couple of thousand miles away!
Malta – always in the sunshine!
lizshereen

re scams

Post by lizshereen »

thanks to everyone for all the reasurance, I have been onto the bank the money order will clear (if it does) on the 28th so I have mailed him back and said what you have advised, ie I cannot give back funds unless I have actually recieved the money in the first place so I owe him nothing and he has had time to cancell the cheque, so basically I told him to stop threatening me and not to contact me again and if the cheque does clear which it wont I will contact him
I hope I do not have any bother again,
again thanks for all your help I will keep you updated if I get any more e mails.
bye for now, lizzy.x