new website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
roxytoo

new website

Post by roxytoo »

Hi guys

Forgive me for asking silly questions but here goes.........

Have bought my domain name but no hosting as yet

Opened dreamweaver and quickly closed it again...........after a few whiskeys opened it again, am starting new website on new page, have a few things on it now....

how do i get other people to look at it as I go along, do I have to get it hosted first? can't beleive how complicated it seems, then I think well if my nephew can do it........

any replies gratefully appreciated
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Meishka,

Yes, the best way for someone else to look at the code is to get the site hosted so that you can actually put it online.

There are places that will host the site for free as long as they can put up their own ads on the page (and usually you can't use your own domain name for that), and there are places that will host your site with whatever domain you have for around 5 pounds per month (or US$8 per month).

In addition, if you're affiliated with a university you can usually get some web space of your own through them, and some ISPs will do the same; you'd have to contact them to find out how. That again wouldn't allow you to set the domain name, though.

Paolo uses www.ipowerweb.com (I believe) for his hosting, and I use www.powweb.com for mine; those are two places to start comparing for paid hosting if you decide to do that.

In the meantime, I'd suggest finding a basic HTML tutorial or two and then a CSS tutorial and reading through them. It should make it a bit easier to wrap your head around Dreamweaver and web pages in general.

Cheers!
Brooke
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

thanks Brooke!
charles

Post by charles »

Meishka,

This:

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/

is a good place to start from. Click on "beginners" (top right) and work your way from there - very well written stuff IMHO.

I'd stay away from CSS just now - stick with learning HTML first and handling the complexities of DW and then make your site look a pro (and cross-browser compatible) l8r.

As you have your domain already it's worth putting a holding page with some text relevant to the eventual finished product, it helps with the search engine indexing you'll need later on. Some purist will tell you that's in not worth it - but if you look at one of my dormant sites (emailonly.co.uk) - this holding page already as a ranking of 1 on Google without me doing anything about sponsoring it or putting anything relevant to it's eventual use.

hth
Charles
tsb

Re: new website

Post by tsb »

One of the best free sites and easiest you use is www.domaindlx.com

Has no advertising or pop ups.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Also, tripod.com or tripod.co.uk are free hosts.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Try www.freeola.com too. You sign up for a free email address and get unlimited free webspace with no advertising. You can transfer your domain or buy one from them. You could make up any old web address just to practice on first. I've been with
them (they're my ISP too) for about 6 years with not a single complaint.

Thing I like about freeola is I use FrontPage (yes I know but its all I've got and it kinda works for me) I find the built in transfer to web the most problematic bit and have given up on it. Freeola has its own built in FTP, you just open their ftp address in a browser, have another explorer window open with your files and drag and drop. It's so easy!!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Hey, don't apologise for using FrontPage - it's just as good and bad as most of the others out there (including Dreamweaver).
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?