Advice needed re prospective guest

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Alan Knighting wrote:I really don’t understand how one can “mix and match� personal web sites and listing sites on the one hand and commission paying sites on the other without potentially upsetting guests, and/or oneself.
In an ideal world, I would agree. But as I'm starting out, I felt that wider exposure was the most important, even if some bookings resulted in a lower rent for me (I hadn't fully thought through the higher rent for them bit until this incident - and I'm changing it accordingly).

I also found that the managed site that charges me commission brought in the biggest share of bookings so it has been worth it. I do hope that in a year or so I'll be running it all myself. Or else I'll pull back from the business and let her manage it all and bite the bullet on the commission.

Mixing and matching is not ideal but for now, it seems to be my best option.

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros wrote:we all panic a bit the first few years and think we will never get any booking.....
I'm sometimes a complacent old bugger but even complacent old buggers can get their panic attacks at times.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Elaine. :) ..

Sounds as if your doing the right thing for you at the moment...especially when you iron out this little wrinkle...
well done with doing so well so early. :roll: ..
from what you say i cant see many problems that you wont overcome in the future you seem pretty well tuned in to what you need to do...and if your doing that well with commision sites maybe theyre right for you.....Hope you continue to be successful... :wink: :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I'm sometimes a complacent old bugger but even complacent old buggers can get their panic attacks at times.
Surely not Fluffs :shock:..... :wink: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ros wrote:
Surely not Fluffs :shock:..... :wink: :lol:
Well............Go on...........Sometimes.

Fluffy
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Well, it's all sorted out, the booking has been saved and a valuable lesson has been learnt!

The guest decided to go with the site he knew, so he's arriving tomorrow. Bottle of wine and a vase of tulips waiting for him!

I sent him an e-mail explaining why the rates looked different and he seemed appreciative of that attention. And I'm sorting out the rate difference with the other site.

Unfortunately, the gods of rentals are still messing with me and tonight I had someone cancel a full-month booking for June :cry: :x :cry:

She booked ages ago so I've been refusing lots of inquiries for that time. :cry: Oh well. At least June is a popular month and it's far enough away that I should get other bookings.

Thanks again for all your input re my dilemma. :)

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
A-two

Post by A-two »

laineyfr wrote:Well, it's all sorted out, the booking has been saved and a valuable lesson has been learnt!
Well done! That's a great result and shows the quality of care you're putting into your customers. I'm sure he will appreciate the extra touches you have added for his arrival.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Unfortunately, the gods of rentals are still messing with me and tonight I had someone cancel a full-month booking for June
Thats a pain a month is a long time rental wise...especially as she booked soo long ago hope youve got the deposit at least.....

Trying to look on the bright side[there always is one if you look really hard.....sometimes it takes longer than others though..]

You probably gave them a discount as they had a month and now hopefully you will book the weeks full price :wink: :)

Good luck! your place looks lovely so Im sure you will get booked again.... :wink: