Wrong email address

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
alifrank1

Wrong email address

Post by alifrank1 »

Well I learnt a lesson today!

I had an email from a man enquiring about my apartment and emailed him back (pressing the reply button). About 1/2 an hour later I got two messages "Mail Daemon couldn't deliver" etc. Thank goodness there was a phone number, so I phoned him and he apologised as he had ommited the first letter of his email address. I sent him a new email and he contacted me tonight saying he wanted to book, so all turned out well, but .......
the other error message was from a woman that emailed me 10 days ago! I had replied to her straight away, didn't hear anything so presumed she wasn't interested. When I phoned her, she told me that as she hadn't heard back, she'd booked somewhere else. She had also put the wrong email (teco.net, instead of tesco.net)! I was really surprised it took 10 days to get back to me that there was an error and because of that I lost a booking.

That will teach me, in future I'll look more carefully at the email addresses people put down! :oops:
gh

Post by gh »

Alifrank1 Happy that it worked out in the end. How do we know the e-mail address is not correct (bounce ones accepted)as we get a varied variety of nom-de-plumes?

Helen
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I don't suppose we can always tell, but the tesco.net was an obvious mistake, so I will look more closely in future and maybe follow up with a phone call if I haven't heard anything :D
gh

Post by gh »

Smashing, I always call if the enquirer leaves a telephone number, why leave a number if you dont want a call. :roll:

They dont expect a call and can sometimes I catch them on the hop. It catches me on the hop when I am in the middle of something trying to sound oh so calm. :)

Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

This has happened to me as well...sometimes the bounce messages take ages to come back....
I used to think if you were replying it must go staight to the person and the email must be right as thats the one it arrived from but lots go via the website.....
Sometimes when Im trying to find the proper email address I find theyve spelt their name wrong....like say theyre name is Bloggs[shown on the email letter]
They might had put Blogs in the email address by mistake so it doesnt take much figuring out..

When Ive rung people saying I did reply but the email address was wrong sometimes they say Oh I didnt remember it so I just guessed :?:thought it was something like that :?: :?:

Well Done Ali on your persistance and even more important your booking...
as you say a lesson learned...and now youve posted it a lesson for others...thats why this forums so great.... :wink: :roll: :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a Paypal refund for the damage deposit returned because they'd cancelled their internet account.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Glad it turned out OK Alifrank...its a bugbear of mine too!
I've been frustrated when someone has put the wrong addy and it bounces back...and theres no phone number! If there is a number I usually text.

I also started (only this year) to put a read receipt on the email...I can then see if my reply has been read. It has amazed me how long it takes for some people to get to their emails (unlike me who's practically glued to the thing all day :roll: )

I get the odd one where I don't receive a read recipt back...but I assume its the enquirer not pressing yes.
I admit I only follow up the enquiries where the email bounces back.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!