Would be grateful for any comments on our new website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
istrianholidays

Would be grateful for any comments on our new website

Post by istrianholidays »

Hi,

Was waiting for the right time to ask for our site to be reviewed but have come the conclusion I could play with it for ever - and would never be fully happy - so time to go for it (and maybe even take the under construction tag away!!).

I would really appreciate any thoughts (good or bad) on the site - both on the look and feel - but also anything to improve the SEO. I've read up on it a little (on this forum and elsewhere) but not really sure I've understood properly so would be delighted to have some comments on that also.

I have introduced it to Google, MSN and Yahoo - but so far only MSN has picked up. I guess this is a matter of time (or improving my SEO?)

www.istrianholidays.com

We've got most of the summer booked through the listing sites in anycase, so not exactly sure whether this will bring any more business, but am working on the assumption that it can't harm, might bring some more business.... and will also give people who pick it up from a listing site the chance to see some more.

Anyway, thanks very much in advance for any of your thoughts, they will be much appreciated.

Jen
enid

Post by enid »

I like the colour scheme - it really does have a tranquil feel. I like the text font and size - even my poor old eyes could read it (not sure why there is a section of larger type on the home page). I would like to see larger versions of the pictures - well have the choice to view them as some of the thumbnails were hard for me to see.

Overall it looks lovely and I wouldn't mind staying there :)
istrianholidays

Enid,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with the picture bit (and no idea why the font is larger in the middle of the first page - need to look into that!!)...

Some of the pictures are small because they aren't as good as I would like them to be given they were taken before the house was finished - but the others because I didn't know how to make a thumbnail which then expands to a larger picture. After playing with some other sites, I think I've figured out - or at least a workaround...

... can anyone confirm, is it as simple as making the thumbnail a hyperlink to another page which then displays the larger picture?

Also - I notice I that in my original post I only mentioned the look, feel and techie bits of the site - of course any comments which anyone has on the content also would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jen
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Jen,

Like the look of your site, very pleasing. Would like to know what the beautiful pictures were; on top of your home page and middle pic in your rates page. You mention in your home page that your villa is 10 minutes from Porec Town, by foot or car...?

The view from your terrace is beautiful, definately one for 'favourites'. :)

Hope this is off use, as looking at your site from potential guests eyes who would enquire to ask the above questions.

Helen
Isadora

Post by Isadora »

Hello, This is my first posting! I have been reading LMH for some time, as I have bought a house which just happens to have a tiny gite with it. So I have looked at the websites posted for review with great interest.
I am not qualified to comment on the technical side of the sites but can give an opinion on the content, look and feel.
I really like a lot about this site. I agree with a previous posting about the colours used - very calm and inviting.
I also like the writing style and awareness of the audience. The use of a personal tone is very welcoming and makes me want to be there - "You can relax..." The floor plan and the invitation to start to plan where we will all sleep is a very seductive ploy!
The information on the country and locality is informative and essential as I guess it is an area many UK residents will know little about. It makes me interested in finding out more.
Just a couple of minor negative points - not on content but on spelling /typing errors. On the page about the inside of the villa - you mention "dinning area" (dining). On the page about the beaches - "ahaded" (shaded?) and about Rovinj you mention climbing rickity stairs (rickety). (Sorry - retired teacher!)
Finally I would have liked to see a better picture of the pool.
Overall a lovely site - I hope I can do as well when I get mine done. Isadora
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Isadora, welcome to LMH, and what a fine first post!!! :D
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hello Jen,

A very big welcome to LMH! I can't sleep so thought I'd do something useful then got sidetracked by this forum (as usual), anyway, your villa looks stunning but it does take a little bit of studying of the small photos to see that - the size of the one on your travel page is a great size.

The font on the travel page is smaller than that of the other pages - is that intentional? I would also like to see a clearer shot of the pool and it's not till I get to the 'Istria' page that I get to find out where Istria actually is - it might be a good idea to mention that it's in Croatia on the first page - for the geographically-challenged amongst us (not that I know where Croatia is either!) :oops:

Looks like you've got loads of bookings already so very well done and here's to a happy and stress-free first season!

Kathy
istrianholidays

Isadora - very proud to be the subject of your first post - (and to the others also...) thanks for your advice. :oops: about the spelling mistakes - need to see if there is a spell checker on the website software (or perhaps will copy to word and do from there!).

Agree lack of a pool shot is an issue (when it was clean, the area around was not tiled etc) and when it was tiled, the pool had turned rather green and winter-y! Will add a picture after I return from the pool cleaning mission in March!

Will also make the location bit clearer (both where Istria is - and the 10 mins).

Finally..... will defo get the photos sorted (named and able to be shown in larger size).... not quite sure how to do this - so may result in another question!!

Thx, Jen

PS - Just got my first enquiry for 2008 (and that also my first enquiry directly through my own website rather than a listing site!!!). Hurrah! :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi...

Welcome to LMH...
Your website look great as does your property....
The photos come out a bit mottley on my screen but maybe thats my end...

I agree about the Capitols on the first page they are a bit distracting...

The bit youve put about the pool not being suitable for small children..is that because its not got a shallow end...for them to stand in...

As children should be supervised always in a pool whether they can stand or not...as they can drown in an inch of water I wonder if you need to put this...
Anything that can put off potential customers at the first contact isnt a good idea...
If its something that you need to raise I would do it after the initial enquiry...but surely if the children are supervised and have float aids etc it shouldnt be a problem.......
Im not saying dont mention it ...but not on the website....
Just my opinion of course...... :wink:

Good Luck with your future bookings :wink:
istrianholidays

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I've been through the site and increased the size of all of the pictures (and linked them to "hidden" pages where a larger version of the picture can be seen). Unfortunately, this shows some of the flaws in the pictures more clearer... but I can (hopefully) take some better pictures and replace them over time. Hopefully spellings and font sizes also sorted!

Ros - I understand your point about the pool - however, the message which I am trying to get across (badly) - is the because the pool is deep - and not fenced in - the property may not be suitable for young kids. Personally, I think the house/pool is okay for kids, but I really don't want anyone who is even vaguely uncomfortable with the set-up and actually do want to put them off as early as possible!! ... however, in general, I agree, about not including off-putting things which could be left out!

... still haven't figured out how to tag the photos - as it doesn't seem to be possible on my system!!

Thanks again,

Jen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Jen.....

Im glad you took my comments how they were meant....
I do like really your Property and your Website...
Good Luck with your bookings :wink: :)
enid

Post by enid »

The improvements have made a great difference - I like it a lot. I think when you have managed to get more photos and that all important pool shot it will be perfick!!! I know what you mean about photo size - I am using a lightbox on the revamp of my site but when I was learning to resize photos I managed to create thumbnails but didn't retain the original larger size so the effect is lost on some of my pics and I will be in retaking mode - when it stops raining!!!!!!