How can I get up to date magazines?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ourinns

How can I get up to date magazines?

Post by ourinns »

I'd like to keep a little library of reasonably up to date magazines for the guests, or rather keep what I've got up to date and avoid the "dentists waiting room" selection of ancient magazines (apologies to dentists!).

It's easy enough to get the French magazines here but is there any economic way that I can get English magazines over here? The shops locally seem to charge about double or more the UK price and don't have a great selection either.

Subscriptions would be OK though the postage is going to bump up the cost and my problem is that I want a range of magazines types eg womens, mens, special interest (I'm thinking walking, VTT, climbing, wine at the moment). Anyway, whilst a subscription for a general interest magazine would be OK, I don't want a years worth of each of the special interest ones.

In principle, I'd also like to add a few Spanish and perhaps Dutch magazines to match our customer base. Spanish isn't a problem as we can nip down and buy them but Holland is too far for that option.

Is there something like a subscription service that would send me a suitable mix?

Arnold
tansy

Post by tansy »

In actual fact you only need 1 magazine...Hello...you've cracked it then!!

When I had my recruitment business - like you left magazines of all interest, all the Financial/car/home etc etc...every time it was Hello that was picked up - especially by the men that were there for the very serious postions..i.e. £60k +

Only problem is I'm finding it's arriving late again on subscription.

But to answer your question I think there is a service you mention...have you a friendly newsagent that could look it up for you?...if not try haymarket publishing...they seem to manage most of the subscriptions now days....I have this number
+44 8456 777819
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

I'd have to agree with Tansy - Hello and OK and Heat and all those really trashy celeb based mags go down really well with just about everyone. We don't buy them in - people leave them with us when they've finished with them.

The other type of mag that is always popular are the property papers/mags. There are lots of freebies full of enticing possibilities for those who are tempted. Even if they're only window shopping.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It's the Tides Tables for Holy Island (Lindisfarne) which keeps our guests enthralled!

Do you have any returning guests you know enough to ask them to bring mags across and settle up with them?

We get lots of different birds in our garden and encourage guests to feed them (supply of seed and nuts) we find the book we have on identifying birds popular too. I guess most of you have a selection of guests left over novels too!?
Aldo

it depends on your target guest

Post by Aldo »

Tansy, Hello!!!?? I have been in that position, with no other choice, I have been known to glance through Hello. It is not something that I look for though. The worst is my hairdresser who offers a lovely cappuccino (classy) and spoils it with the accompanying Daily Hate (sorry, I meant Daily Mail). Getting it right is not easy. I tend to place a couple of Wallpaper magazines a year (they don't date quickly), a couple of The World of Interiors (appeals to the type of guests we get) and I have subscribed to a local Sunday paper that has a supplement with culture information. Because most of the guests come for the history of the city, the library is well equipped with history books, guide books, and narrative that's linked to the island. I have also found that a couple of airline magazine companies that send me the magazines regularly for free. They are usually full of information on the island too.