What type of pool surround?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Bellywobble

What type of pool surround?

Post by Bellywobble »

We are in the process of having our pool refurbished. I had hoped to have a surround that was flush with the terrace but it seems that this won't be possible as the pool walls are slightly higher than the terrace. Therefore it will need to have a lip.
The pool guy is coming this afternoon and we need to decide what to use for a surround. Does anyone have any advice on what to go for or what to avoid?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Most of the paving sold by bona fide companies are good,it's their business to make sure it's fit for purpose ! The trouble comes when people DIY- I've seen some awful gravel surrounding pools- it sticks in feet and goes into the pool- to be avoided !! Most paving slabs are good but not the knobbley ones as they hurt the feet. Basically it needs to feel good underfoot, not be slippy,not be "movable " and to look good/suit your budget. Happy hunting :-)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

And apparently, if you're going for wood you can't have normal decking as the chemicals in the wood once wet end up in the pool (on wet feet) and are toxic. So you have to use ultra-expensive untreated hardwood! :evil:

Good luck bellywobble!

Kathy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yes, you're right Kathy. I had forgotten that one !! :-)
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

And apparently, if you're going for wood you can't have normal decking as the chemicals in the wood once wet end up in the pool (on wet feet) and are toxic. So you have to use ultra-expensive untreated hardwood!
Oh bum :!: Guess what I was going to use :oops:

Wobert
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ah But Wobert....
Oh bum Guess what I was going to use
Think what you 'wood' have said if you HAD already used it :shock: :wink:
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Nearly totally off subject, I have been working onthe pool all week - in the awful weather - and have taken my eye off the ball.

Ros the newbie, 2 weeks new, and you are well past me. Amazing!

Robert