Dreamweaver Problem Can you Help ?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Hanorah

Dreamweaver Problem Can you Help ?

Post by Hanorah »

Hi After my website review I dutifully redesigned my website after all the fantastic feed back I received (thanks guys) however I have a little problem that I hope is related to the template.

It is quite serious as it does not allow someone in internet explorer at least to resize the text using the view text size option. I am sure there must be a way around this but I really have no clue what it is.

If anyone can help I would be indefinetly grateful.
Always Learning
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

View/Text Size in IE doesn't really work for me at all no matter which site I am looking at, including this Forum. It simply increases/decreases the width of any borders and that's it.

Alan
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

I just tested it and it does the same on this site for me too just bigger borders but on my old web site it did work. I have just tried google.com and it does increase the size of the text on there. Have you tried it on that site?
Always Learning
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Using IE6 if I go to www.google.com re-size works both on the search page and on the results lists.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hanorah,

I am not technical enough to sort this out, but I am sure it can be done simply enough. The forum is not resizable, but for instance the homepage of www.laymyhat.com is. Hopefully one of our technical friends will help you out.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
charles

Post by charles »

It's all to do with CSS - more specifically how the font sizes are defined in it.

The forum has font-sizes declared in pixels, as does Hanorah's site hence IE is unable to re-size them as pixels imply the fonts they refer to are meant to be of fixed-size.

The main page of this site uses instructions such as "font-size: small;" which can be re-sized by IE.

The other way to do is a) don't specify font-sizes (but IE set to 'medium' defaults to the equivalent of 16pixels (b) use ems.

There is an interesting article here: www.clagnut.com/blog/348/
- it explains how to use ems - not that complicated really. But you might want to set some of the fonts to pixels anyway to keep the page from spilling-over or loosing its formatting completely.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Charles
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

Ahh yet another reason to browse with Firefox. Firefox has no problem resizing any text, including this forum.

Charles was right on with his description of CSS styles. We use mostly hard defined sizes (px or pt) to keep with our artistic feel intact. This is not always the best way, though, because if a user is sight impaired and they have their font set all the way up when the browse, they won't be able to read your page. This is something that any ADA (Law in the US that governs all disability accessibility) compliant company has to consider. I am fine with setting the font-size for my vacation rental site because this is not a huge concern.

Back to Firefox: really it is not that hard for a browser to resize even CSS hard set text sizes because all it has to do is add 1 or subtract 1 from the point/pixel size of the text even if it is set in CSS. So, I don't know why IE doesn't do it for those who have problems viewing small text or who are annoyed by huge type.

[/url]