The legal aspects of borrowing some bikes........

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

The legal aspects of borrowing some bikes........

Post by Mountain Goat »

We're mooting the idea of guests being allowed to borrow a couple of bikes when they stay. Nothing exotic - those machines can be hired - but just for pottering around.

Insurance-wise they're sewn up for 3rd party accidents, which is a legal requirement here (and everywhere else I suppose) although a skip through the smallprint may be useful.

But are we laying ourselves open to a quagmire of possible problems?

i.e. brakes fail and punter ploughs off the mountain road en route for the valley far below. Our fault? Manufacturer's fault? Whoever maintains the thing's fault?

I could think of a dozen similar scenarios.

Best left alone? Disclaimer form?

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

Personally, I would keep well away from the whole idea. With the modern attitudes of always blaming someone else and demanding “compensation�, if anything went wrong it would be “your fault�. If a guest wants a bike point him/her in the direction of the local hire shop.

I had bikes and I had swings and got rid of them all, for the obvious reasons.

Fluffy
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Mmm, thanks, Fluffy, thought as much.

But where does it end? We've just bought a seriously posh push-chair for ankle-biters (only because it was reduced from something insane to something feasible in a sale).

Steep roads, ice, brakes again.....

MG
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Why do I always disagree with Alan? Probably because he's wise and I'm not.

Personally, I like to provide every possible bell and whistle for the guests, included in the price and readily available. The only reason we haven't done bikes is that we don't have a suitable shed for them yet.

Obviously, you need to check that your 3rd party insurance covers the guests' use of bikes etc. If it does, you're safe, however much they might sue.

The point I really want to make here is that private rental properties compete with hotels, camp sites, B&Bs etc, all of which have their attractions. In order to compete well, we have to provide something that the others can't.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

As with many things there is no one answer. Liability laws vary from country to country. We each have to draw our line on what we include and what we charge extra for and ensure we are insured against the associated risks.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, I've got bikes, swings, a trampoline, and of course the extremely dangerous pool (regardless of the adherence to safety legislation). All are covered by liability insurance, but I understand what Alan is saying about the compensation culture. However, it could easily apply to anything regarding accidents inside as well as outside and I know having facilities like mine help to attract families and give me a good level of bookings. Touch wood so far, we have (nearly) always had sensible guests, although I did get blamed once by a grandfather for having gravel on the ouside dining area of the property as his 2 yr old grand daughter ate a couple of stones, apparently that was my fault, but luckily she didn't suffer any adverse side effects and I wasn't sued.
As you say MG, where will it end?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ben,
Why do I always disagree with Alan? Probably because he's wise and I'm not.
I’m sorry to hear that you always disagree with me. I’m sure it can’t be for the reasons you suggest.

In this particular case I’m not sure I have said anything with which you can disagree.

I’m sounding warnings about the compensation culture and I am urging people to have full insurance cover.

I am saying that everyone should make their own choice and I have stated my choice.

What’s to disagree with unless you want to tell me I have made the wrong choice, for me?

Fluffy