Opinions Please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I think you are trying to be a little to formal, write it as you would say it
Or try writing it any way you like :roll: .
..as its your site :wink: and as me and Helen[or should that be Helen and I :roll: ]
and Im sure most of the other Forumers think its fine....
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi F&S,

My first impression when I looked at your site was: Wow! What lovely colours..very restful. I also like the layout and overall professional look.

As Peter said, it would be a good idea to change the colour of the links as the mouse passes over them -as they are, they turn a very light colour which is hard to read.

I love the photo gallery feature...maybe you could do a little pruning in terms of the photos you choose to display? You have some really stunning ones (candlelight dining outside, the bedrooms), but also some which you might feel you could remove without losing anything in terms of information content - there are quite a few of the swimming pool, for example. Could you rephotograph the pool without the car in the background? I understand you may not be on site, so perhaps you have to grab whatever rare opportunities you can.

You have an impressive list of baby/ infant stuff...very useful.

I thought the text was absolutely fine, nothing struck me as unusual in any way...the only typo I noticed was on the Location page (mediterranean / 'M').

Bonne continuation ... I look forward to seeing the finished result.. the villa looks beautiful and the bookings are already coming in :D
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

ttp wrote:The Calender needs to be aligned to the left.
Um, calendar? Sorry, ttp..I know I'm setting myself up for a right old ticking off the day I make a spelling mistake... :wink:
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I think you are trying to be a little to formal
I believe that should be too formal. Welcome to LMH.

Wobert
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Wobert at Wadenac wrote:

Wobert
Damn! I missed that one! And Wobert storms into the lead on the typo front.... :wink:
ttp

Post by ttp »

Wobert at Wadenac wrote: I believe that should be too formal. Welcome to LMH.

Wobert

Thanks, guility,

anyone want to buy a Sony Notebook computer with a knackered g, o & key ?

Reards

Nick Thompson

p.s. I notice you have a .co.uk web domain, do you find that limits or directs your client base to the UK ?
I ask because I've just bought a .co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Quote:
I think you are trying to be a little to formal

Wobert
:wink: :wink:

:lol: well spotted Wobert...Ros AKA cheeky girl :wink:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

English F+S's English seems fine to me. As Ros says, it's the site owner's site and they should write in whatever style they feel most comfortable with. In fact, I often warm to clunky English written by non-English speakers on rental sites providing the meaning is clear. Many of the 'mistakes' are cute rather than irritating and I imagine the person behind the enterprise struggling with piles of dictionaries and phrase books into the early hours with a half-empty bottle of local tipple - but getting there in the end.

The photos need a bit of work. I'd suggest a wider angle lens for the interiors plus thoughts about different viewpoints (elevated from a neighbour's balcony?) for the garden/pool area. Often, a few good images are better than lots of indifferent ones. The white bedroom interiors are tricky - they look a bit 'dingy' - need a little more contrast to make them sparkle. And slow loading is a problem for me (broadband), that centipede thing crawling around in a circle is a nightmare.

I'd lose the 'construction' page. If you had restored (say) a splendid old barn to its former glory, that would be fine but a modern concrete shell always looks horrible until it's finished. I'd replace it with more pix of what's available locally for your guests to enjoy.

Good luck with your venture.

Jim
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,

I think the site looks good. I like your background colours - very restful.

Have to say I agree with Jenny on the rollover colours on your tabs - I had to roll off again to remind myself what they were.

One little quibble with the text: "with all the modern conveniences you would expect..."
I think if you assume people expect them then you don't need to mention them. I "expect" beds, table, chairs, fridge etc...
Perhaps you could say something like "the villa is fully-equipped and has many little extras that will make your stay here extra-special" or something like that, or give a few examples. I also associate the term "mod cons" with the 60s when they really were modern.
Just a thought - and ignore it if you're happy with what you wrote.

Re the pix - I'm not good on the technical stuff (my boss calls me a "computer guru" cos I'm the only one in our office who knows anything! That gives the techie guys in London who deal with our system a great laugh :? :lol: I'm well able to follow their orders but have little clue what I'm doing).

However, I think you could make a few improvements on the design side - they look fine now but the place does look just finished (I know it is... ).

I know you're not there all the time but perhaps you might consider dressing the place up a bit more for the next lot of pictures. Your outside shot of the villa is nice but I would have liked some flowering plants on the balcony and a vine creeper or something on the frame in the front. Perhaps you could get one of those artificial ones while you wait for your own to grow?

Same inside - most are fine but your dining table shot really stands out among the other non-bedroom shots because it's the only with colour in it. Perhaps you could drape the coloured bedspreads over the sofa for a couple of shots. Even vases full of colourful flowers would work. What's missing is colour.

That's not to say the photos are bad, they're not - just that the place looks great and you could do better. We don't always see this with early photos. I took my first photos myself and the place was totally bare so I was thrilled when my photographer friend took the ones I use now. But ten months on, I can see that they too need updating and I will dress the place up much more for the next lot.

But hey - congrats on doing it!!! You're still streets ahead of me! :oops: :?

Best of luck - hope it brings you lots of bookings.
Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

PS

I just looked at the site again - intrigued by all this talk of baby packages!

Under your additional info you have something about electricity (smart idea!) and you say: the socket outlets are of the flat 3 pin type. Do you mean British-style or American? Many American plugs have 2 flat pins and 1 round. I'm assuming it's the British style but it might be worth clarifying for non-Brit visitors.

Also, I think you might be running yourself down a bit on your entry re dvds etc - avoid using the word "but"!! Say you have a small selection and they can bring their own too. Emphasise the positive, not the negative.

Just a couple of tiny points - hardly vital to the site but your place looks lovely and I think you should be pushing it with more enthusiastic language! You're being too modest. :D

Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

p.s. I notice you have a .co.uk web domain, do you find that limits or directs your client base to the UK ?
I ask because I've just bought a .co.uk
I assume that was for me. I must admit I bought a co.uk because it was the cheapest option, and I didn't know what I was doing anyway.

But a very interesting point. I had a look at my stats & I do get searches from other countries as well as the UK - but mainly UK.

I think this is a question for one of our gurus. The fact that my site is written in english would presumably preclude a German searching in german etc.

Robert
ttp

Post by ttp »

Wobert at Wadenac wrote: I assume that was for me. I must admit I bought a co.uk because it was the cheapest option, and I didn't know what I was doing anyway.
Yes, it was for you.
I have created a new topic with this question.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I assume that was for me. I must admit I bought a co.uk because it was the cheapest option, and I didn't know what I was doing anyway.

:wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I knew I liked you Wobert...great answer :wink: ...CG....