Frontpage 2003. Anyone know how to use dynamic web pages.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

Frontpage 2003. Anyone know how to use dynamic web pages.

Post by ravetildon »

Just trying to make certain things change on all the pages at one time. My site is gettin to big to make changes to a simple phone number each time it changes .
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

ravetildon,

If you are using a scripting language such as PHP, ASP, or JSP to write your web code, I am 100% certain that this is a snap to do.

If you're using standard html/dhtml, then I am pretty certain that this is also easy. I've never done it, but I did a google search on "include file html" and the general idea is the same:

If you have a standard address with phone number that you want to display on every page, you can put it, with all its html code, in the file address.html (for example).

Then, in the various pages where you want to display the address page, put in this code to insert the file:

Code: Select all

<!--#include file="address.html"-->
The code must be inserted exactly as printed above (don't add extra spaces, etc.).

Again, I can't completely vouch for this since I've never used it, but I'm pretty sure it's standard html and should work just fine.

Cheers!
Brooke
jacmgr

Post by jacmgr »

There are a couple ways to do it. The title said using MS Frontpage, So I’ll show TWO ways to do it using the standard MS Frontpage methods. (I only have MSFrontpage 2002, but should be the same for 2003)

If the information is something like a header or footer or something else, then you create the file with just that information in its own html file. Let’s say you called it “myinfo_1.html� or “myinfo_2.html�

Then
1. open the page where you would like these other pages to be inserted to.
2. Go to the location where you would like that page snippet inserted and click once to get the cursor there.
3. Now from the main menu select the “INSERT� MENU and select the “Web Component� sub-item. You should get a pop-up box.
4. Choose “Included Content� from the left side box, and you should be presented with several choices on the right side box.
5. Choose “Page� from the right side box.
6. Click “Finish�
7. You will get a pop-up box to enter the file name. Enter “myinfo_1.html�, or whatever you called it, and click “OK�

That’s it you should see the inserted page in the main page.

Repeat these steps for every page that you want it to be on.

Whenever you want to update it, you will only need to edit “myinfo_1.html�. The new changes will automatically appear on all the pages where yo included it.

--- END of msfrontpage method number 1 ------

-- BEGIN METHOD #2 ---.

Of Course this doesn’t help if you just want to change 1 word in the middle of a page. For that, you can use the same “Web Component Menu�, “Included Content� and choose “substitution� instead of “Page�. However, First you would have to set up your substitutions.

SET UP YOUR SUBSTITUTIONS:
1. In Page view, on the Tools menu, click Web Settings, and then click the Parameters tab.
2. Click Add.
3. In the Name box, type a name for the variable.
This is what you will call the variable.
4. In the Value box, type a value for the variable.
This is what will be displayed on the page.
5. Click OK.

NOW, USE YOUR SUBSTITUTIONS:
6. Position the insertion point in a page where you want to display the variable.
7. On the Insert menu, click Web Component.
8. In the left pane, click Included Content, and in the right pane, double-click Substitution.
9. In the Substitute with box, click a variable from the list.
Note If you just want to change the value of a variable that already exists on a page, follow steps 1 through 5.

Now whenever you want to change it just repeat the steps in 1 through 5 and MODIFY the PARAMETER VALUE to be the new value and repblish!!

--- end of msfrontpage method 2 --

There are lost of other methods. vrooje method should work as long as your server supports "SSI" "Server Side Includes". If it supports MS Frontpage then it more than likely does support SSI.

Good Luck!!
John Del Ferro
John and Hyonmi Del Ferro
http://www.vacationrentalworkshop.com