Builders and courtyard

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Loopy Lou

Builders and courtyard

Post by Loopy Lou »

Following on from the previous thread, I am having a cottage renovated and the work has started. I anticipate it being finished by the end of May. I've just received a booking asking for three nights in June (June is advertised at a per week rate Sat to Sat) because the existing gites are booked for the previous week which the client wanted. If the cottage is finished the client could have the full week they wanted, but at a slightly higher rent. Question is, do I offer them the cottage and pray it will be finished on time - or not? Or do I offer them one of the existing gites for the Sat, Sun, Mon but insist on the full week's rent as advertised - or at a week's rent discounted?

The other problem I have is that the courtyard between the existing gites has had to be dug up for the installation of a new fosse septique and therefore the grass has been destroyed. I am going to get it levelled and reseeded as soon as possible but I am very concerned that the grass won't have grown successfully and sufficiently by the end of May. This is not the ideal season to be sewing grass seed. I did not realise how much destruction would be caused by this dratted fosse. What do I say to prospective clients and those who have already booked for May half-term?

I don't want to gravel the area because it would be too hard a finish, with too much glare and too much echo off the barn walls.

This is my first year of letting and I do not want to mislead my clients nor do I want to lose any. Help! :cry:

LL
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
A-two

Re: Builders and courtyard

Post by A-two »

Loopy Lou wrote:I do not want to mislead my clients....... LL
Lou,
If you keep making decisions based on that ethic, you can't go wrong.... :)

Regarding the grass, can you get rolls of turf from a local farm instead of seeding? (called "sod" here :!:)

Regarding the cottage renovations, I wouldn't take the booking if you are not sure it will be finished in time (see other thread), but you could tell them that you expect it to be available and will contact them again on (pick a date) when you will be opening your reservation system again. Perhaps they will chose you for their next vacation, even if they go elsewhere this time.

Regarding discounts, minimum bookings and rates etc on the gites, it's an impossible question to answer without knowing the history of the property. Do you have last year's accounts from the previous owners? Those would tell you a lot about what you can reasonably expect to achieve with and without discounts.
Waves from America
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Lou :) ...

I agree with Joanna[of course :wink: ]...

As she says the fact that your thinking along these lines means that you wont go far wrong...

Im not sure how big an area it is...what about laying Bark down[not sure if its expensive]
..is the grassed area shown on the photos as Joanna said you can get rolled turf....
I think I would charge the full rate and if when they did arrive things werent finished properly...
give a discount then.....
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi all,

It is difficult to get grass sods here in France, I gather, and expensive. Yes, the area is shown as grassed on the photos, but I have been explaining to potential clients what has been happening and I have a low season booking for 4 nights at the end of this month, despite the lack of grass.

I think I will offer them the cottage for the week they wanted, or the gite for the three nights at a 10% discount off the weekly rate and see what they say. I can only tell them like it is.

Not boring, this business, is it!?! :?
Louise
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Louise,

Re your re-seeding, you will have a lovely lawn in time for May. We had our new FS put in and seeded the lawn April time, left the irragation system timed to come on; 1hr morning and evening.

Our next visit was May and the grass had shot up so much; that we couldn't cut the grass with our petrol mower, had to borrow a neighbours sit-on one to cut the top off. Obviously you will be on hand to give it its first cut.

Your right, we never get bored. :)

Helen
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Helen,

That's very encouraging. Unfortunately, I have no irrigation system, but I do have a water tank, pump and hose, so I might be able to sort out watering the area between the gites and get the grass to grow.

I did have a dream about setting my alarm for midnight to put the water on and then again for about 4 a.m. to turn it off so that I didn't disturb the May gite guests, but then they would have the swish, swish of the spray to contend with, wouldn't they! It all depends on the weather we will be having for the next couple of months, I suppose.

But, you have made me feel a great deal better, thank you.

LL :)
Louise
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I did have a dream about setting my alarm for midnight to put the water on and then again for about 4 a.m
No need just give me your phone number and I will give you a call :roll: :lol:

No its not boring is it. :roll: .....

Im glad you feel a bit better about it they are a helpful lot on here arent they :) ......
Im sure it will all turn out OK for you :wink:
gh

Post by gh »

No trouble Louise, you can also get a timer to put on your outside tap and attach your hose underneath, and have a sprinkle thingy, sorry mind blank, attached to the other end of the hose set at a position to cover most of the new grass area, which would be as good.

Save you getting up early :wink:
Yeah your right, depends on the weather, hope its like last spring, good heat in the air to help growth with a little rain.

Take care
Helen
Ju

Post by Ju »

Turf is very diffcult if not immosible to get in this part of France.

I think you need to seed as soon as possible and water at every possible opportunity. We had this problem one year, but we sowed the seed way too late so there really wasn't much grass the first year. Luckily it was only in one part of the garden and not overlooked by the terrace so it didn't matter too much.

As for teh gite, you need to set a date that you think the work will be finished, and then stick to it. there is nothing like a deadline to get work done. Remind teh builders at every opportunity that the work must be finished by that date. You may end up with a few late nights getting it finished but it will be worth it.

We have three properties which we opened in three successive years, for each one we ended up finishing on the day the guests arrived, in one case with only five minutes to spare!! but the point is we did finish. If we hadn't taken the bookings the work would have stretched to fill the time available.

Best of luck

ju
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

I've told the builder 26th May and I daresay that we will be tiling and painting together - but then it will at least be some of my work too. I will have to make the curtains, buy the pictures, recover the sofa bed.......... Argh!

In the meantime the grass will have to be sewed and will have to grow or it will have me to answer to!!

I will continue with my usual attitude that it will all come right in the end. (fingers and toes crossed).
Louise
enid

Post by enid »

I will continue with my usual attitude that it will all come right in the end.
I'm sure it wiil - with your positive attutude it just has to - bon chance :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Louise :)

Good Luck Im sure it will all work out...as Enid says youve got the right attitude....Were all rooting for you :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This might help...[surprisingly :o i couldnt find crossed toes :roll: ]
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Ros wrote: surprisingly i couldnt find crossed toes
Ain’t this surprising? :lol: