Error message - a question for the techies

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Christine Kenyon

Error message - a question for the techies

Post by Christine Kenyon »

My website is designed using Dreamweaver. When I bring up my website (www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk), it displays a yellow triangle in the bottom left hand corner with a message saying something like "website loaded with errors". I also have a message box telling me which line the error is located on.

So, I have a lot of info, but don't quite know what to do. I know how to display my HTML code but don't know how to display the line numbers down the side so that I can identify what the problem is.

Hopefully this is quite simple. Can anyone help?

Christine

PS: I expect to be awarded the dummie's hat for techie nurd of the decade for this question!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Christine,

You will be pleased to know it is simple. You select View - Code View Options - Line Numbers.

Alan
jacmgr

Post by jacmgr »

I am using IE 6. Your page loads fine without errors when I view it. What browser are you using?

JDF
John and Hyonmi Del Ferro
http://www.vacationrentalworkshop.com
Christine Kenyon

Hello Alan and John and Hyonmi. Thank you for your replies. It always amazes me what folk are doing in the early hours of the morning!!

Well, the plot thickens. Thanks to Alan, I've found the line numbers, but ....

My error message is:
line: 113
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk/
The error message only shows on the index page - and I only have 110 lines on the index page.

My browser is also IE so if it works OK for John and Hyonmi, is it a problem peculiar to my computer? Stranger things have been known.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Christine,

I also use IE v6 and do not get any errors with your Website.

I don't have any answers but I do have a question. Do you get the error when you visit your Website using IE or do you get the error when you Check Target Browser from within Dreamweaver? If it is the latter your IE browser profile file may be corrupt. You will find the browser profile files in the Configurations/BrowserProfiles folder in your Dreamweaver application folder. Please don't ask what to look for within the profile, I haven't a clue. This is probably a red herring anyway.

Alan
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Christine,

Looking at your coding in both Dreamweaver and Front Page, page 1 has 157 lines. When I validate your coding in both editors they report numerous "errors" only one of which is rated as being serious, that error being:-

Line 44: In Internet Explorer 5.0 the tag <BODY> cannot contain a tag <META>. It is only allowed within <HEAD>

This may, or may not, be what is causing your error.

Alan
Christine Kenyon

Hello Alan - and thank you for taking the time to look at my "problem".

The problems when I visit the site via Internet Explorer, not from Dreamweaver. Thank you for your comments about the meta and head tags. A bit worrying to think there are so many errors but I shall try and track down the serious one.

Thanks again for your help.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hi Christine,

Re: what Alan noticed, I would change the part of the code which says this:

Code: Select all

<meta name="" content="Stybarrow Cottage is a self catering holiday cottage for vacation rental in Glenridding in the Ullswater valley in the Lake District National Park">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<meta name="keywords" content="Stybarrow Cottage StybarrowCottage stybarrowcottage stybarrow cottage 2 stybarrow terrace Glenridding Ullswater Ulswater Lake District Lakes Lakeland Lake District National Park England northern england Patterdale Eden Valley lake mountains fells hills holiday cottage self catering self-catering holiday rental vacation rental accommodation acomodation accomodation acommodation walking hiking running fell running mountain biking cycling sailing boats boat canoeing surfing steamers ferry hellvellyn helvellyn helvelyn high street lantys tarn lanty's keldas place fell kirkstone pass hartsop brotherswater brotherwater">
to this:

Code: Select all

<meta name="description" content="Stybarrow Cottage is a self catering holiday cottage for vacation rental in Glenridding in the Ullswater valley in the Lake District National Park">
<meta name="keywords" content="Stybarrow Cottage StybarrowCottage stybarrowcottage stybarrow cottage 2 stybarrow terrace Glenridding Ullswater Ulswater Lake District Lakes Lakeland Lake District National Park England northern england Patterdale Eden Valley lake mountains fells hills holiday cottage self catering self-catering holiday rental vacation rental accommodation acomodation accomodation acommodation walking hiking running fell running mountain biking cycling sailing boats boat canoeing surfing steamers ferry hellvellyn helvellyn helvelyn high street lantys tarn lanty's keldas place fell kirkstone pass hartsop brotherswater brotherwater">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
That ought to solve that issue, though I don't know that it will get rid of your error message. I'm actually not getting any error message using Firefox.

Looking at your index source code shows 115 lines for me, including a blank line at the very end. That would mean that line 113 is the blank line between the two final lines of code, </body> and </html>. Strangely enough, that line is NOT there on a "view source" browser, but it is there when I copy and paste your source into a text editor so that I can view the line numbers. So there could just be something fishy going on with hidden characters.

This may sound really silly, but have you tried just erasing the last few lines and manually re-typing them?

Cheers,
-Brooke
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Christine,

If it is something like a hidden character as Brooke suggests, and it could well be, then you might finish up looking for a needle in a haystack and/or deleting and rewriting your code including all blank spaces and blank lines, piece by piece.

Before you embark on such a breathtaking and exciting task may I suggest that as many members as possible click onto your Website and report whether or not they are getting the same error as you? If you are the only one with the error you could opt to ignore it.

By the way, the vast majority of "errors" I referred to in my previous posting were to do with possible future incompatibilities and not real errors. Sorry if I gave you the wobblers - I didn't mean to!

Alan
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Clicked on your site Christine, nothing untoward for me, am using IE 6!
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

No errors with me either Christine .......

and i only get 107 lines, though i'm guessing you've made a few changes :)

Maybe you could also post all the html code of the page, that way we'll be able to see anything 'hidden'.
Christine Kenyon

Once again, thank you for some brill advice. I shall be getting my HTML head on and having a look at the code and will let you know what happens.

Thank you all for your help.