WordPress guru? Problem with permissions.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

WordPress guru? Problem with permissions.

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm in a complete mess with an experimental WordPress site, and permissions on the various folders.

Anyone know what permissions I should have on the following folders (744, 766 etc.):

1) The main WordPress folder
2) wp-includes
3) wp-content
4) wp-admin
5) themes
6)specific plug-in theme

Is there a permissions web-based tutor somewhere?

Thanks.

MG
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Folders are typically 755 and files are typically 644, unless otherwise indicated (in a manual or help page etc.).

A couple of tutorials:
http://catcode.com/teachmod/numeric.html
http://www.help.thinkhost.com/web-devel ... l_197.html
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Many thanks, Brooke, I'll head for those. I was doing fine for a week or two, then it went to pieces.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, I am at a dead stop.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Why's that Helen? I was going great until earlier this week. I uploaded a new theme, added a plug-in for random header images, and then messed up the permissions.

Your security's good - I've been trying to have a look at your site, but none of my WP login/passwords work. Or it private?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, I've been away and then straight back to full-time work. :( . My internet access is restricted there at the moment as I'm working in a different branch, which doesn't have broadband yet. :shock:
I messed up the site before I went away and didn't have time to fix it, hence the offline status.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm in the middle of a new one at the moment, with information on the village that the chalet is in

http://www.lespraz.com

Lots to do still, but it's coming together.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Martha

Post by Martha »

Oh, and, in answer to your question, it should be 755 for most of the folders...

here's a guide specific to wordpress

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Has it recently stopped working? odd...
Last edited by Martha on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Firebug, looking great so far. Mine looks awful at the mo, I decided to fiddle with the CSS and screwed it up. Still using the free version.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Helen, how did you mess up the site? I might be able to help, and maybe not. Did you try the WP forum?

Firebug, that's exactly what I was up to. I used a theme I liked, used a couple of plug-ins, and spent quite a bit of time removing the blog look (i.e. admin, date posted, comments etc.) but it's kaput at the moment with permissions (PM'd you about this).

Yours is looking great. Do you want to retain the blog look?

MG
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Firebug, our posts crossed. Thanks for that link, I'll give it a go.

I wanted random images to appear on all pages except the home page. I got my theme designer to do a one-off plug-in. Worked fine for a day or so, then, when changing permissions (why?), the whole thing zapped.

I'll do my homework.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

hmmm.

is it definitely the plugin?
maybe reset the permissions - that link will give you all the numbers - in case it was a one-off. If it continues to happen, deactivate the plugin, reset them again.

If everything is now ok it must be a problem with the plugin, talk to the person who wrote it and they will be glad to know of the bug (well, not really, but you know what I mean!)

I'm currently thinking of keeping it in a blog style, though I'm still changing loads of things. It makes it easy to add things like comments - I'd welcome comments on the posts, it will hopefully help keep it current. And map integration and so on.

By the way, Google's new My Maps feature looks great, I'm going to do one of these too
http://maps.google.com/

Also, a blog categories work better for me than tiered pages, as one item can belong to so many different categories - e.g. summer, winter, kids, transport)

Thanks Helen and Goat for the kind words:D It's good to have the encouragement! There isn't anywhere at the mo that is just about Les Praz, so it does fill a bit of a gap.

Oddly enough I came across a lovely pic of Leysin when I was looking for Mont Blanc photos and I was going to send you the link in case it was useful -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serac/152738265/
Last edited by Martha on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think I deleted some CSS that I shouldn't have, it looked OK in one theme, but now it's awful. I need a couple of hours or so to look at it again.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Brooke, thanks for the permissions stuff. By default they install as 755 / 644 and that's fine. But fiddling and editing with themes and plug-ins needs 766 on the files, which means anyone can have access. I think.

Asking for advice on WordPress forums results in blasts of bad-tempered GeekSpeak, so I'm having to grovel to gain a nugget a day.

Firebug - great Leysin pic. - many thanks. I'm spending all my time editing the blog gadgets out of my WP site, and turning it into a conventional website, which begs the question - why not have a normal website.....

MG
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, 766 means you have read, write, and execute permission, and everyone else can read and write.

That's a little scary, though -- are you sure you have to give everyone (any random web user) write-access to your files in order for them to work?
Brooke