Noise disturbance from fiesta - how much deduction?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Yes we have all had them, I had one guest who really didn't like our cottages and I could tell he was never going to like it so I gave him a refund and off he went to the nearest hotel.

I probably shouldn't have offered the refund but it was a small price to pay for my door bell not being rung every couple of hours with yet another complaint(kettle didn't work, it did, dishwasher didn't work , it did, bed linen not high enough thread count, tough, cows too close, bird dropping on car, children playing outside, potholes in the drive(hold up my hands to this one!), birds too noisy, the Antonine wall just a ruin, :lol: :lol: ,village not very scenic, agree, our house too close to the cottage (yes far too bloody close was my reply after 6 door rings one night :oops: )

Some guests just aren't suited to self catering..for that matter some guests aren't suited to holidays and should have stayed at home! But you do get the lovely ones who do appreciate what we do for them that hotels don't.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Linda
sorry to see this is still going on. They are obviously square pegs in a round hole and perhaps not suited to independant travel as other shave pointed out.

There's been some excellent advise and support. :) All I would add (and this is a general 'dealing with complaints' view) is that we have to seperate out the complaints and deal with them on their own merits rather than lump them all together and write off the guests as 'not credible'.

For me I think it was right to offer compensation for the 'fiesta' complaint (as they were unaware their sleep would be compromised). And the 'welcome pack' complaint was sorted out quickly...both of which were valid against the service they expected.
The agent certainly did an excellent job of being on hand to solve their issues (above and beyond the call of duty perhaps)

The remaining complaints were regarding things outside the owners control - they were therefore not valid and not requiring compensation.

In the past (in a working environment) I've had many realistic and unrealistic complaints from customers...the skill is sorting out the wheat from the chaff and dealing with the ones where the service has fallen short - to your own standards (whatever they may be) whilst outlining why others are not your resposibility

...and yes - sometimes it might be better to say to those 'high maintenance clients' that perhaps whats being offered isn't suitable for them and they should go elsewhere.
Less stress all round IMO :D

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

our house too close to the cottage (yes far too bloody close was my reply after 6 door rings one night )
:wink: :lol: :lol:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Fibi said
Some guests just aren't suited to self catering..for that matter some guests aren't suited to holidays and should have stayed at home!
Yep! :lol: ...certainly agree with that one! :D

Good points of view in your post too Mouse.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Some people just aren't suited to enjoying themselves and will always see the negative in everything. They need a good dose of cognative therapy! I'm not a happy clappy type but the day goes so much quicker and easier if you're not constantly harping on and sniping about stuff. What miserable lives they must lead. (They are more to be pitied than scolded as the saying goes!)
linda147

Post by linda147 »

thanks for all the support!
I have put this one in the past now and learned from the experience, although I did wonder if these were the same people that Meishka had :lol:
To make me feel better we had another e-mail last night from the couple who were in the house 2 weeks ago (we had a very good April!) who said how lovely the house was and that they really enjoyed Vejer! Also took 2 more bookings this week so things are looking up! :lol: :lol:
Now back to my marking - that really is depressing!!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Hi Linda

Just remember, .... Vejer is lovely... how could they have NOT lovedVejer, the restaurants, the beautiful winding streets, the history, the ambiance, the fiesta... like others have said, they were clearly not cut out for the holiday they chose. You provided a lovely house in a wonderful location and with a true local spanish flavour, they just failed to appreciate what they had and chose to nitpick instead of making the most of a unique opportunity.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Grrrr good riddance. I think you were more than generous and your agent is a total gem. Miserable git of a client. Professional complainer, I bet, and a misery to live with. Poor wife!
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.