Christmas is coming!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Alan, It's only ancient history for you if you don't have this contract : it still works for us(and a lot of other consumers) & it explains how one week's rent could be cancelled by the heating charge(this was the point of my original mail). The newer contract offered by EDF contains the same danger(unpredictable heating charges)so other owners could find something useful in my post (I hope.....).
Pool pumps, hot water tanks, washing/drying/dishwasher machines, ovens, hobs, irons, hairdryers, fans, vacuum cleaners.... even without electric heating the cost in the summer months could justify using the 3-band EDF contract in force today & foregoing winter lets.
Anyway, since our over consumption of - just about everything - has led to a crisis which is now forecast to lead to the end of the world as we know it (circa 2035), we are all going to be ancient history soon.
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

alexia s. wrote:Anyway, since our over consumption of - just about everything - has led to a crisis which is now forecast to lead to the end of the world as we know it (circa 2035), we are all going to be ancient history soon.
I will hopefully be 70 in 2035 - is that a reliable date? If so I should bring forward some of my plans.
Last edited by paolo on Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Aww Alan, you know Alexia just brought it up because she wants to flaunt the fact that her financial savvy got her such a great deal!

:wink: just kidding!

I've often wondered if the Tempo system would be worth it for us... but I don't like the idea of not being able to control whether some renter decides to use the dishwasher and do laundry on a red day or something. And I'm not sure that it's fair to ask the renter to check for the day and respect what it means. Some will, some won't and will be offended about it.
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi, we've got Tempo in our house but have the ordinary "heures plein" tariff for the rental property.If we decide not to let out in winter I might change to Tempo for that one.It's horrid turning EVERYTHING off on red days :cry:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Thank you Alan for posting the EDF site...more homework for me after finishing researching all the web sites for places of interest here, day out at the hotel de impots on Monday and finishing the washing from changeovers!

I think we shall probably close up the houses in the winter months including Christmas...it's not even just the cost of heating the rental place but if like me you do all the laundry as well...that's your tumble drier having a right old spin on the meter as well!

It is accepted that wood is the cheapest form of heating in France - we have our 2 woodburners at home going 24/7...even today one is glowing in the background - my Aga will take over when she is up & running in June (hurrah) ...but we have found folk on holiday just cannot be bothered with a fire...the first day is a novelty then it's back to flick a switch and keep everything ON 24/7 even if it means opening windows to cool down. :roll:

I actually do not understand any longer the British on holiday...is the wastage of power because they feel they have paid for it in the rent and have to get value for money? Or do they live like that at home? I do find on the rare occasions I go back to the UK I am stifled in an English house...especially the modern ones.

The reluctance to recycle as well is something that staggers me...I've just had 5 sacks of rubbish left for me full of bottles, tins & plastic...the recyling point is 500 yards away :x

BTW a new one for you all - why I lifted the tea pot down from the shelf in the cupboard I don't know...but discovered that the lid had been put on at an angle so was stuck fast...so I thought turn it over.....yes, full of cold tea & tea bags...all over me and the newly washed floor :twisted: The lid couldn't be saved...but couldn't some one have said - sorry we broke the teapot - instead of trying to hide it?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've just taken a booking for a full Christmas week - 2006!!!! The lady has stayed with us before so I know it is a genuine booking. She spends Christmas in the village every year so hope it will be with us now!
Is this a record 21 months in advance!!??
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Impressive!

I'm frankly shocked that anyone plans that far ahead anymore. Glad it brought you business!

This thread is certainly getting long! :) But there's loads of information in it. I just keep thinking of some poor guest browser looking through the forums and thinking, "holy moly, they wrote this many posts about Christmas?" :)
Brooke