Design change when uploaded!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Cat7139

Design change when uploaded!

Post by Cat7139 »

I recently added a new links page and altered a few things on my web site. When I uploaded my pages to my host server all my images and text had changed position.

As I design in Dreamweaver design mode as opposed to code mode, I am now unable to get my web site back to its original look.

In Dreamweaver and preview it looks absolutely great. My host server is telling me to check my code. As far as I can see everything appears to look correct.

Can anyone tell me why my site looks fine in Dreamweaver and preview browser but is totally different with my host server?

Also is there anyone there who would have a look at my code and let me see what you are seeing? I've been on line now to my host server for 3 days and am having no luck at all.
(I've added flash buttons for my menu but haven't linked then yet but that's another story!)

Thanks,
Catherine
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Catherine,

I am sure there are many who will be more than willing to help you. To enable them to do so would you please add your Website address to your Profile or at least quote your Website address in a posting? Either way, people can then look at your Website and the underlying coding.

Alan
charles

Post by charles »

Is it this one: http://www.pictureburgundy.com/ ?

I can't see any Flash buttons in IE 6.0 - just a broken yellow strip where I presume they should appear - it looks like the nice text positioning you had has gone.

I'm not familiar with the code you're using for the flash buttons:

Code: Select all

<OBJECT codeBase=http&#58;//download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0 height=22 width=100 classid=clsid&#58;D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000><PARAM NAME="_cx" VALUE="2646"><PARAM NAME="_cy" VALUE="582"><PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="Movie" VALUE="button10.swf"><PARAM NAME="Src" VALUE="button10.swf"><PARAM NAME="WMode" VALUE="Window"><PARAM NAME="Play" VALUE="-1"><PARAM NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1"><PARAM NAME="Quality" VALUE="High"><PARAM NAME="SAlign" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1"><PARAM NAME="Base" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always"><PARAM NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll"><PARAM NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0"><PARAM NAME="EmbedMovie" VALUE="0"><PARAM NAME="BGColor" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="SWRemote" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="MovieData" VALUE=""><PARAM NAME="SeamlessTabbing" VALUE="1">
    <embed src="button10.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http&#58;//www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="22" ></embed>
  </OBJECT>
In fact it mentions shockwave in the script so I'm not even sure it's the correct code.

On one of my sites my flash code appears as follows:

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid&#58;D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http&#58;//download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="101" height="460">
                <param name="movie" value="../images/movie/wwwnet.swf">
                <param name="quality" value="high">
                <embed src="../images/movie/wwwnet.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http&#58;//www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="101" height="460"></embed>
              </object>
So the question is are you sure you are using Insert --> Media --> Flash when you're adding your Flash buttons?

hth
Charles

Post by paolo »

Not sure if you're asking what others see in their browser, but this is what I am seeing in IE:

and in Netscape:

Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing Paolo is.

May I ask: why flash buttons? I personally prefer not to use them at all.
Brooke
Cat7139

Post by Cat7139 »

Thanks to all.
My server has just responded after 3 days of grief to apologise for their mistake. Apparently, from the host to the server, all coding had changed. They have now sorted out my pages for me and I may be back on line soon. However, they haven't altered their mistake in my control panel so I still am unable to edit as all the incorect pages are still there.

Is this a common problem with servers? It has caused me three days of worry and total confusion trying to sort it out!

With regard to the flash buttons, I was attempting to make the site look a little more sophisticated but may just revert back to text links as I am able to create these easily. However, I did use the insert, media, flash button so am not quite sure why my code looks different. Could be the server again!!!!!

Regards to all,
Catherine