2005 Bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I have a feeling its 11 months, thats why one hardly ever sees 12 month lets in Spain!
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

I'll check this with my gestor.

I've also got a possible 1-year lease lined up, but this is an Austrian-Thai couple, who I don't expect will give us any problems. Anyway, I've quoted them a rent which covers my lost holiday rental income, less cleaning costs, so if they want to stay there for 5 years at that rent, they're welcome ;o)

cheers, Jim
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yes, but if someone refuses to move out and you have to evict them, will they pay rent while they're being evicted? I wouldn't think that's a common practice.

I'm a fan of laws protecting the tenant in general, since I'm a renter. But from the other side of the fence, it's a little scary.
Brooke
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

The Austrian I mentioned has an unusual name - a Google showed him to be a top manager for a multinational. They are obviously either spending a year here on business or taking a year out, either way they are extremely unlikely to cause problems at the end of the lease.

In fact I actually think they should look for somewhere more up market than my apartment, which doesn't have great views or luxury fixtures. He'll be coming here next week, and I plan to hook him up with an estate agent friend who can show him some more suitable properties.

Thanks to everyone for your concern though :wink:

cheers, Jim
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The following is my interpretation of the position in Spain. I am not a Spanish lawyer so you should not rely on my opinion, get advice from a qualified person.

Lettings are governed by the Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos which came into force in 1995. There are two types of contract, short term called Arrienda de Temporada and long term called Arrienda de Vivienda.

The Arrienda de Temporada is for a furnished letting for a specific period of time up to one year and renewal is at the discretion of the landlord.

The Arrienda de Vivienda is for a furnished or unfurnished letting for a period of between one and a maximum of five years. It gives a tenant a degree of security. If the contract is for say three years and the tenant wishes to stay for another two years the contract is automatically renewed at the same terms.

Some confusion exists with contracts of exactly one year. Are they Temporada or Vivienda? To avoid any confusion Temporada contracts are usually for less than one year – one day less will do.

I hope this helps a little.

Alan
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

Thanks Alan, I will make sure ours is for a day or two less, just to be on the safe side.
Jim
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

We had someone try and rent for a year but when I told him it would be the weekly rental rate times 52 weeks which came out to around $75,000 for a year he decided not to do it. My feeling is that we would rather have shorter stays and have to rent the place half as much at the full week price than rent for longer discounted periods.