Putting links on a website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Topcat

Putting links on a website

Post by Topcat »

Hi. I notice that a lot of personal websites have on them links to other sites, e.g airport transfers, taxis, weather etc. Could you explain to me how you go about this, please? Do you seek permission first, or just go ahead? Do you get paid for putting some on? (I'm not talking about Google ads).

Thanks,
Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hi Pauline,

I don't ask permission, I just put them on - I don't think anyone would object, because by adding a link I am doing them a favour.

I don't get paid for any of my links, although some people do - for example you can become an "associate" of Amazon and get paid a percentage of any sales made as a result of someone clicking through to Amazon and then buying something. But I haven't bothered with any of that.
Topcat

Putting links on sites

Post by Topcat »

To CatherineS

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Canaryvilla

To Pauliner

Post by Canaryvilla »

You could have a look at http://www.buyat.co.uk/ who have many companies who will pay you a percentage for sales made from links provided by your web site. You will find such as car rental companies etc.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Tradedoublers ( http://www.tradedoubler.com/pan/public/about) is probably the biggest European affiliate organisation

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
marcus

Post by marcus »

Just to say, the average property rental site won't attract enough visitors to be worthwhile registering with affiliate schemes like Amazon. You need a lot of visitors (at least hundreds and probably thousands of visitors every day) to make anything like a respectable amount of money.

Car rentals are an occasional exception to this general rule.

So generally I would just add the links that you want to add, and that will be useful to your visitors.

Unless someone has had more luck than me with their property site...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am reviving this as I got nice surprise in the form of a small cheque from buy.at this morning. Not a great deal, but it cost me nothing to set it up, and I would have put the link on anyway. LIke Marcus said, it was for car rental. Unfortunately, they are no longer part of buy.at's scheme, so I am looking for another link.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hi everyone, I haven't asked anyone if I can put links up on my site I just did it.

I have one link on my site that could potentially make me some money which is the Mr Site one for building websites, other than that I have just done it to help visitors to my site find things more easily.

Helen that's good news for you, I would be interested if you find another car rental place that gives commission like that. Will have a look at that buy at link too.

RB

Edited my stupid comments as I didn't read the orignal post properly and it was ages ago anyway :oops:
Last edited by Rosbif on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It was actually a different link to the one I gave you the other week. The one I gave you was actually from a friend who got it from their online banking or something. The commission on my link was good though, and I am disappointed they've stopped it, as if I used it myself, it was 12.5% off the car hire.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Oh that's a bummer! That would be handy as car hire can work out so expensive. I still haven't booked actually for our trip in June, must do that! The one you sent me was second cheapest in the end but I might go with it as the car's were nicer!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just worth saying that I have affiliate car hire deals on my site.

But, I can't afford to use them as the Ryanair/Herz deal is always cheaper !

I use the hotel links, though.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The carrentals one had good prices,as I used it once, but as a link from another site. 12.5% commission was good too, but the affiliate programme has now been stopped or suspended, so it won't bring me anything more unfortunately.
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Must agree that affiliate links are tough to earn a great deal of money from as really you need the readership, but a couple of observations:

I've found simple text links, with your affiliate code built in, work best for me when they are placed on a page with tips and advice.

So, for example, write something about travel distances, driving tips and car hire with your link to a car hire firm at the foot of your piece.

Some airlines offer commissions, although they are not great, but again you could write a few paragraphs about flights to the local region and a bit about the local airports, finishing off with links to airlines or a booking engine.

For Amazon books instead of just throwing up a bunch of graphics write a review or two of some of your favourite titles, only needs to be ten paragraphs and finish off with a text link to the book on Amazon.

You will have little success with sticking all the banners and buttons on offer from affiliate networks on a page and hoping people click on them - give people some words to read and then a simple link to let them discover more.

Hope this helps

Craig