Another One.

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
levelsteps

Another One.

Post by levelsteps »

He is the text of an email that I received this morning. I have never heard of Regions Bank.

Allan. France (29).

Dear client of Regions Bank,

Technical services of the Regions Bank are carrying out a planned software upgrade. We earnestly ask you to visit the following link to start the procedure of confirmation on customers data.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://online.regions.com/ibsregions/c ... onfirm.cfm

This instruction has been sent to all bank customers and is obligatory to fallow.

Thank you,

Customers Support Service
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

There is a number of scams like this one floating around at the moment. They frequently call themselves Capital, City, Region, etc.

They are all fraudulent. No self-respecting Bank ever asks a customer to confirm personal account details through the e-mail system.

Anyone being caught be this sort of thing is quite beyond belief. We all know who we bank with and it is never with "them".

Ignore all such requests, do not reply to them, do not even try to unsubscribe. Any reply of any sort tells them that you are there and you will continue to get messages from them.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

In the U.S. they do sometimes imitate actual banks, including one that I have banked with in the past. Of course, I didn't respond to the e-mail, except to forward it to the abuse department at the relevant bank.

Worse are the spoofs I receive with some regularity from Paypal and eBay imitators. I forward those to spoof at paypal.com etc., but they can sometimes look very realistic and I can easily imagine them fooling someone less suspicious than me.

Regardless, Alan is completely right. If you get anything from even your bank or online financial service, you should call them to tell them about it -- never click on the link to "re-enter" financial/identity details. It may look like it, but it's not a link to the real site.

Cheers!
Brooke
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

We run a technology company with a ton of clients and I always laugh because most days we have these emails from every possible bank and financial institution. It may not look iffy if you get one but when you get 15 of them from everybody you just have to laugh.

IE actually released a patch a little while ago to provent them from spoofing the site name. If you don't have the latest patch they can actually make themselves look like they are your bank from a link in an email and if you don't know any better it can get you.
levelsteps

Post by levelsteps »

I do not have the time to answer the email from the Bank because I am very busy trying to help someone get a lot of money out of Nigeria. :lol:

Allan. France (29).
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

You should contact them and ask them if they can help you launder Nigerian money. I went to that 419eater.com site and they do stuff like this connecting the scammers together and it is great fun.