Don't, whatever you do, try this WordPress theme generator

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Don't, whatever you do, try this WordPress theme generator

Post by Mountain Goat »

because your day (and night) will just disappear down the plughole.

ThemeGen

For WordPress groupies only. You're been warned.

MG
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

And it's widget friendly too... how could you! :roll: Dont you know I have toilet brushes to buy? :shock: :wink:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

MG,
I'm intrigued. Are you saying that it doesn't work and will screw up your PC, or are you saying that it is brilliant and therefore addictive?

I'm asking because so far I haven't downloaded Wordpress onto my PC, I've just stuck to using one of their standard themes, purely because I didn't want to have to go through the rigmarole of learning how to customise my own theme. But if there's a handy generator kicking around, I may just give it a go....
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

NC, well, it's certainly addictive, but jury out on it being brilliant. It may still be at the Beta stage; I think he's about to launch it on the WP community.

Are you hosting your WordPress blog or is it hosted by Wordpress.com? If the former I could talk you through it, if the latter, I think you're stuck with their basic themes.

There are many themes out there, 1000s actually, but a place to start would be:

ThemeViewer

Having a choice of themes, which are one-click interchangeable, means your current content can be viewed through any of them, until you find one which suits you (sir?). The tweaks are endless - variable header images, random header images, forums, contact forms, drop-down menus, side-panels and all the widgets you can handle.

I've been playing around with one by Andreas, a Swedish designer - but I'm still learning how to tidy up the sub-menus in the (r/h side-panel) and images in text. The header is fixed at the moment and another guy is helping with a random header plug-in. I've deblogged this one, so all the stuff about poster/time/date has been stripped out, but I'll probably stick it back again, for guest feedback, inside the site. I only found it last week, so there's a few weeks of work (for me) on content to go. Value for money it's not too bad - as it's a freebie, but some themes can be $12-15 each which is pushing things a bit for those who insist on free stuff (see elsewhere 8) )

I would say that it's useful to have the designer supporting the theme and its eccentricities - Nigarila is a good example - its designer, Sadish, runs a mini-forum to support his punters. I like it a lot, but have managed to mess it up with rather naff drop-down menu.

Another word of caution - I'm sure there are plenty of LMHers who know 50 times more than I do about WP, and there's at least one who would say that TextPattern is infinitely superior and produced a seriously professional site to prove it.

The attraction of WP for me, at my dubious standard of knowledge, is the supportive community around it.

MG