How to post a message

Notes on how to use the forum, whether you just want to read it or contribute too. If you have never used an online forum, this is the best place to start.
paolo

How to post a message

Post by paolo »

How to post a message
Now that you are ready to join in the discussions, there are two ways to add your post to the forum.

If you want to add something to an existing thread, you click on the 'post reply' button at the top and bottom of each page of messages.
If you want to start a new topic of discussion, you go in to the relevant category and click on the 'new topic' button at the top or bottom.

In both cases you are taken to the message screen.

If you are posting a new topic, make sure you write a descriptive Subject for it, as this will appear in the list of topics. If you just write 'Help!' people are unlikely to read your message. If you write 'Advice wanted on French management companies', you will attract anyone who may be able to help. Writing in the form of a question is also a good idea: 'Is my management company ripping me off?'

When you are posting a reply and not starting a new topic, it is not necessary to fill in the Subject field, but you can if you wish.

Adding an image
You can drag and drop an image into a post with a maximum file size of 500kb. You can also link to an image that is already on the internet by inserting the URL of the image, then highlight it and click on the 'Insert image' icon above the message box.

Adding a clickable link
To add a clickable link to a website, type in or paste the url for the site, e.g. http://www.laymyhat.com, highlight it and click on 'URL'.

Editing your post
Once you have finished your message you can click on 'Preview' to check how it will appear, and 'Submit' to get the message posted to the forum.

Even once the message is up on the forum, you can make changes, correct errors, or add new information- go to your post and click on the 'Edit post' icon at the upper right of your post.. This takes you back to the posting form where you can make your changes, and click 'Submit' when you are happy.

To delete a post, click 'Edit' and check 'Delete this Post'. Click 'Submit' to finish deleting the post. You may not delete a post if it has been replied to (i.e. it is not the last post in the topic)
Paolo
Lay My Hat