Re: Wood use in winter months

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

On the specific subject of wood as a fuel a further point is the type of wood you use. Various types are available at various prices. Oak is perhaps the most expensive but, in the long run, is the best. It is slow burning and produces very little in the way of deposits and residual resins in your chimney.

The best wood-burning fires/stoves also incorporate jackets from which you can drive (for free) a hot-air central heating system but only if you can accommodate the ducts.

Gas is another alternative. If you do not have town gas then like oil you have to install a tank, either above or below ground. It’s cleaner, quieter and requires less maintenance than oil but is a bit more expensive.

In my various properties I have one stand-alone wood-burning stove, two wood-burning fires with hot-air central heating systems and one gas-fired central heating system. Wood-burning is the cheapest but requires attention. Gas-fired is more expensive but is fully automatic.

As they say “you take your choice and pay the money�.

Stay warm and comfy.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Alan - just been informed the hot air ducts are no longer installed...we wanted to put in a big Godin with hot boxes/ducts and were told in no uncertain terms...we have a fabulous insert wood burner with hot air duct upstairs in our St Germain house - would love the same arrangement here - but alas!

Yes, sorry should have said what sort of wood...oak is fabulous, we have a melange being delivered at the moment - with what I think is Ash & Elm....it's burning well...but a real fire is the peat - and then your cooking!! :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

Is it that hot air ducting systems have been legislated against? If so, what a shame. They are fabulously effective and almost free to run because they use heat which otherwise goes straight up the chimney.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Alan - I agree - that is our understanding...we went to the local woodburner centre here - he's the Godin man for the area...
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

tansy wrote:Alan - I agree - that is our understanding...we went to the local woodburner centre here - he's the Godin man for the area...
:cry: Oh -what a shame!!I wonder why? We've got a Godin here with the ducts and it's brill!!Heats the bedroom up a treat and "free" as the fire is in the dining room.Do let us know if you discover why!

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Dreaded new legislation...what you can have is in the actual woodburner is an electric motor to blow hot air into the room.

I was very disappointed when we were told...maybe someone has a way round it - but it is the 'hotboxes' that have been stopped - so we've been told.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

tansy wrote:Dreaded new legislation...what you can have is in the actual woodburner is an electric motor to blow hot air into the room.

I was very disappointed when we were told...maybe someone has a way round it - but it is the 'hotboxes' that have been stopped - so we've been told.
Oh- now I'm confused!! :cry: I thought I HAD an electric motor on the Godin that whooshes the hot air around.What is a hot box?
ps- my Godin is about 4 years old.

www.thepetitmanoir.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

Sorry Fraise - didn't meant to confuse - it's another term I suppose for the ducting - where they inter connect - like the boxes for sewage drains etc - but these are hot air - I don't know if there's been fires or something in the past or if there is a build up of deposits from the wood over the years...but one of the warmest houses I've ever been in was a house completely heated with warm air from his wood burner - quite a work of art!

I think that it may be just the guys that fit and supply that won't install - there probably is a way round it - but then it could invalidate your insurance.

I don't know - all I know is it got a big NON from 2 places
:roll: