How to register and log in

Notes on how to use the forum, whether you just want to read it or contribute too. If you have never used an online forum, this is the best place to start.
paolo

How to register and log in

Post by paolo »

How to register
You need to register if you want to add your post to the forum. This is quick and easy to do.

To become a registered user of the Lay My Hat forum, click on the icon at top right that looks like a on/off button, next to the search box.

Click on 'Register' below the log-in boxes.

Click that you agree to the terms of the forum, and you get to the Registration page. Fill in the fields. You have to fill in the username, email and password at the top.

Anyone can read the forum, but to post a message you have to be a registered user - this is free and quickly done. We ask that you register to avoid abuse of the forum by spammers and other undesirables.

Once you have clicked on Submit at the registration page, you are registered and you will receive an email to tell you that you have been accepted as a registered user. At that point you can log in to the forum.

Adding details to your profile
Once registered and approved, you can log in and add details to your profile. Click the downward arrow next to the avatar at top right and choose 'Profile'. Here you can add an avatar, and link to your website and social medias.

Logging in
You can log in either by clicking on the icon that looks like an on/off button at upper right of page, or fill in the form at the bottom:

If you are not logged in and you try to do anything that requires a login (i.e. post a message, change your profile, check your private messages) you will be taken to the login screen. After you log in, you will be taken to the page you were attempting to go to before logging in.

If you forget your password
If you forget your password, at the log-in screen click on 'I forgot my password':

You will be taken to a form to enter your username and email address. A new password will be emailed to you, which you activate by clicking on a link in the email. This is so that nobody else can change your password. Once you are back on the forum and logged in, you can change your password to whatever you like in your profile.
Paolo
Lay My Hat