How to get special keyboard characters like ©

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

Thanks for the flattering remarks but I am neither a master of nor an expert in Windows. My computer skills were acquired long before GUI became the way to go.

I was brought up on text based screens (80 character x 25 lines) with IBM and DEC hardware and operating systems. In those days even Unix and Xenix were the new boys on the block. My natural environment was raw coding, command line instructions, ANSI and ASCII values. I used to program in Basic, C, 4GL and Decision Table languages. I brought my knowledge with me when I entered the world of GUI of which Windows is the prime example.

I used to analyse, design, code and develop Case Management and Document Assembly applications so was obliged to be familiar with all the facilities, features and wrinkles of database and word processing systems. Even Intranet systems were my responsibility so I became familiar with HTML. It was all part of being the managing partner of one of the largest provincial law firms in the UK.

And now I run a little self-catering business, contribute to the Forum and contemplating my navel. It all adds up to living an idyllic life in a superb location with a fantastic wife and hardly a care in the world.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Taking © as an example, AutoCorrect can be a bit frustrating if what you want is (c) and not ©. My way of achieving that is to type the open round bracket, the c and the close round bracket, followed immediately by Backspace.

Alan, that's what I do if something autocorrects and I don't want it to. If it is a symbol you don't use much you could of course delete it from the autocorrect list altogether. The one that drive me mad is people leaving the feature for automatically making an email address into a hyperlink for a printed letter so it comes out underlined and in blue.... irrational but grrrrr....

Another tip: If there is something you use frequently (symbol, your address etc) you can autotext it then put it on your toolbar as a single button. I have my signature and yours sincerely etc scanned in at work and displayed on the toolbar as a smiley face, handy when you are doing mail shots. Give me a shout if anyone wants any Word tips explained.. I'll do my best. :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ahh yes, I absolutely hate the auto hyperlinks! Though I have been able to make them go away by right-clicking the blue underlined e-mail address or URL and choosing "Remove Hyperlink" or something similar.

It looks especially unprofessional on resumes, I think. :)
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

I hear what you ladies are saying ..but when I worked in recruitment and was looking at '000's of CV's per day - email addresses NOT in blue and underlined could get left on a seperate pile...
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

"And now I run a little self-catering business, contribute to the Forum and contemplating my navel. It all adds up to living an idyllic life in a superb location with a fantastic wife and hardly a care in the world."

Ooooh,how lovely!!I wonder how many other people can say something like that? It brought a little happy glow to my early morning :D

www.thepetitmanoir.com
willemijn

Post by willemijn »

many thanks!

I have the € symbol on my keybord, but often in email messages it changes into something very strange, therefore, I just stick to using E or Euro.
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

tansy wrote:I hear what you ladies are saying ..but when I worked in recruitment and was looking at '000's of CV's per day - email addresses NOT in blue and underlined could get left on a seperate pile...
Off topic (like so many of my posts.. sorry!!) Tansy, do you mean they got in the thrown out pile for not being underlined? I suppose depends on which post you are recruting for but when I needed good admin staff who could use Word fully as a Word processor and not a typewriter I'd have thought they should have turned that feature off... Just curious...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

It's the contrast between two ways of life which is the big thing for me. Likewise, the contrast between living in England and France. Before I get shot down for saying that I hasten to add that I am English and very proud of it.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Soodyer - as you say what post - but we did most communication by email initially then telephone, then face to face - then back to email/phone...speed always the essence!

But part of the key is things need to leap out...just my observation.