Copying Gmail conversations?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KathyG

Copying Gmail conversations?

Post by KathyG »

Hi, calling all Gmail users............

I've been trying to save emails/conversations in Gmail to a folder so that I can have access to a hard copy - just in case the universe explodes and everything on the Gmail server is lost! :roll:

Anyway, failed miserably so far, I don't seem to be able to copy and paste anything but the first message in a conversation and even then the date's not there. I've tried Save As which it will do but then I'm unable to open it again, says I need to enable cookies (cookies are enabled).

Help???

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi, I just download mine to Outlook or Outlook express occasionally. It doesn't do the conversation though, only the received mail. I would have though you were less liekly to lose the mail from the Google server than from a PC though.
enid

Post by enid »

Mine are forwarded to my local mail box too :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

HelenB wrote:Hi, I just download mine to Outlook or Outlook express occasionally. It doesn't do the conversation though, only the received mail..
I could be talking out of the back of my head, but I think that if you connect your Outlook to Gmail with POP3 and not with Mail Forwading then any outgoing messages sent from your Gmail web interface are then automatically downloaded to your Outlook next time they connect and sync.

POP3 sounds scary, but the Gmail help pages talk you through this very well indeed.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I access all my gmail through Outlook, it was very easy to set up through pop3. I use it as my main account now.

Sort of related, has anyone had any problems with their gmail e mails being rejected recently? Most of the spam I'm getting through now are from gmail addresses and I was wondering if some ISPs were rejecting them now as spam.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I could be talking out of the back of my head, but I think that if you connect your Outlook to Gmail with POP3 and not with Mail Forwading then any outgoing messages sent from your Gmail web interface are then automatically downloaded to your Outlook next time they connect and sync.

POP3 sounds scary, but the Gmail help pages talk you through this very well indeed.

Thanks all of you, I did that this afternoon but Outlook just kept rejecting my password so I gave up! :roll: However, I'd obviously done something stupid so I've just removed it, installed it again and now Outlook is currently downloading 465 emails :shock: Filtering of past emails would have been a good option! Looks like I'll be busy sifting through that lot tonight and then I can put booking emails in some sort of order.........

Thanks again chaps and chapesses,

Kathy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Complete failure!! It seems I have 2166 emails in my Gmail account so why did it only choose 465 of them to send to Outlook. Not one of the enquiries were sent and it wasn't just because they were 'conversations' either, some emails that I'd received but not responded to didn't make it either :? :?

Any ideas?

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kathy, have you checked the POP settings in gmail? Mine for example says only download mail received since Jan 26th.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It will download mail in batches too, so it may take a while for everything to show up in Outlook. Clicking 'enable POP for all mail, should download everything, but I don't think it downloads archived stuff, but I may be wrong.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hey you're right Helen, it does it in batches of 465 at a time, I have to keep clicking on Send/Receive! Thank you!

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

:D :D glad to help.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

kathyg wrote:Hey you're right Helen, it does it in batches of 465 at a time, I have to keep clicking on Send/Receive! Thank you!
Oops :oops: Anyone following this, do not keep pressing Send/Receive - you'll end up with the whole lot sent again - 4000+ emails in my case!!

Kathy